Matchless 85 cs with Norton Badges ???

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Matchless 85 cs with Norton Badges ???

Post by saltbox alf »

I'me just not that good looking :rofl: But I might make a good Torrey Canyon stunt double!!!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

I'll stand next to you then - you'll be the safest place on earth.
When the RAF tried to bomb the Torrey Canyon they missed and it wasn't even firing back at them!
Janet

Post by Janet »

Stuoyb wrote:Some kind of MI5 plot?
"The mystery of the missing Nortons"
I think there was just a smoke screen.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

saltbox alf wrote:
as these bikes disappeared into thin air.......
It make's one wonder, perhaps re re badged or are they sitting in a big shed somewhere?
Perhaps they're with those 25 brand new crated and unassembled Spitfires recently announced which were found in a bunker (in Burma?) which weren't there after all. :roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

A ship went down just off the Thames Estuary sometime in the sixties. It hit the news as a lot of E-Type Jaguars were on the top deck, some underwater film was published, I think there were some London buses as well if my memory serves. But below decks could have been anything. Not saying the year and place was correct, just what can happen. At the time it wouldn't have been important what happened to the bikes, it was difficult to give Brit Iron away, except maybe for the engine to be taken out and used in a Metisse (which were themselves becoming historic). When the factory closed a lot of stuff changed hands very quickly I suspect, Ken mentioned the museum bikes for instance. Is it known if any of those have surfaced ?

Stan
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

"They could have been on the Liberian cargo ship Dias which sank in the bay of Biscay or was it Torrey Canyon hitting the rocks as a cover up of 25 missing bikes?? " I don't think they are in Torry Canyon. I rode past the mouth of the canyon this morning on the way to the Norton Owner's Club ride. I live in Ventura county near where Union Oil drilled their first well & many more over the last century or so. They have sold off their interests here but there are probably thousands of wells neaby still pumping dino oil. We have some surface seeps where thick, black goo forces itself out. But if the quote references the infamous ship bearing that oil field name, it might account for all the oil spilled! Cheers, Don. :lol:
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Don , well you learn something every day, had no idea the ship was named after the oil field!

Apparently the Ship had a tin chaincase and was made to leak a triffle more on clipping the Scilly isles on route to Milford Haven. :rofl:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS