1961 G80CS - New Owner

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Malleon

Re: 1961 G80CS - New Owner

Post by Malleon »

Peter,
I would recommend that you consider fitting a LED-type rear- and stop-light unit, as these are more economical on current used, and give a brighter light than the car type bulb mentioned above.
Peter Platt

Post by Peter Platt »

Good idea. I'll have a chat with Paul Goff.
Peter Platt

Post by Peter Platt »

By the way, does anyone know where I could get hold of a Tubular tool box (029684)?

I need some where to keep a few tools on my CS!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The North American Section manufactures two types of the tubular toolbox & many other items peculiar to the scramblers, which have no other source. Contact our secretary: John Diederich, cycletoys@aol.com for details & ordering. Cheers, Don. 8-)
Peter Platt

Post by Peter Platt »

Great, thanks. I'll drop John an e-mail.
Peter Platt

Post by Peter Platt »

I have placed an order for a toolbox with John and it is on its way to me as I type. Thanks for the pointer.

My next challenge is to find some info about GP carbs (a T5GP1 1,3/8" to be more specific).

I took my bike out for a short ride today but it was a pig to start (not normal) and wouldn't run with the air lever fully open even when warmed up (also not normal). I suspect there is some dirt in the carb somewhere which is restricting the fuel flow so I'd like to strip and clean it.

There doesn't seem t be a lot of info around on the GP carbs so it could be fun!

I'm assuming that these carbs run OK in colder weather. The temperature was only about 9 degrees C here today which is the lowest temperature that I have ridden the bike in so far.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Peter Platt wrote:The temperature was only about 9 degrees C here today which is the lowest temperature that I have ridden the bike in so far.
There's also the possibly it's icing up, even at what one might consider a 'warm' 9 deg.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter Platt

Post by Peter Platt »

Interesting, it could have been icing - it was very damp (light fog) which probably didn't help. Are the GP carbs prone to icing?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I don't know anything about GP carbs, but from my own experience, particularly at this time of year with damp misty air at anything below about 10 degrees my aged Bambi 950cc engined campervan would suffer occasionally on the flat at medium throttle and often when going uphill in a low gear with the throttle wide open when it would inexplicably lose power, slow to a crawl and stop. After waiting a few minutes it would run again perfectly until the next time. I had to make up a warm air duct from the zorst to keep the carb from icing up.
Years ago, following the Piper Alpha oil rig disaster I designed an inflatable mast which was (still is) dropped from rescue helicopters to mark the position of persons in the water so that rescue boats could locate them. Dropping pyrotechnic flares into oil-covered water wasn't safe. Inflation time after hitting the water was limited by the CO2 nozzle icing up even at ambient air temps of 20 to 25 degrees.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'