front seat -chairmans comments

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
clive

Re: front seat -chairmans comments

Post by clive »

The attitude within the club has changed over the 34 years I have been a member. The first Jampot rally I attended in 1980, Leisure Lakes, members took it in turns to do a timed race around a short dirt scramble track. All done on the road bikes we had attended on. A little later the Concours line-up, which had immaculately restored machines, always included a section for "De Grot" which was usually won by a bike that would put Roy's rustys to shame.
Over the last few years I have noticed that in some places there is a movement away from awarding "Best in Show" to the most immaculately restored machine to awarding it to one that is neat but well used. I am all in favour as I don't have the patience for all that painting an saving up for stainless, anyway I am usually fixing an engine after giving it a good thrashing.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Don't waste all your replies by putting them on the forum, send them into the mag for next month or I'll be forced to write some more tongue in cheek comments in next column! :rofl:
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Haven't a clue what's in this month's Jampot, I will have to wait till I get back "up country" next Friday from down here in a very wet and windy Cornwall.
BillTS3

Post by BillTS3 »

A machine is only original once.

If a machine is a 'survivor', my opinion is that it should be maintained and used regularly. An old bike or car - or tractor, for that matter - is a rolling piece of history with its 'patina'.

Once restored, a machine can be re-restored again and again.

3 of my bikes (850 Commando, Ranger 750, G15CS) were total basket cases, had been off the road for 30 years or more, and were mostly disassembled. I resurrected these, and ride them regularly.

My latest acquisition is a 1961 G80CS, owned by one man from 1962 to 2014, with 4900 miles on her. This bike hasn't run in some years (the owner recently passed away after fighting Parkinson's Disease), but I will put it back in running order in the next two months and keep it in its original state.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

don't think there is any problem in having an 'as original bike', the only comment to be made is one of safety, if you clean your machine once in a while and lubricate moving parts you tend to notice potential disaster before it happens, kind regards
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Can't see a problem with replacing parts as required to keep things in good working order. I would rather see an bike being used than
sitting around as an ornament and polished all the time. Ride, get it a bit mucky, a wipe clean and general look over and lube, ride. repeat.
If wanting to look posh for a special event. a quick squirt with WD40 and a bit more of a wipe over generally works. A wash off is acceptable
after playing in the mud. :lol:
I don't like the term barn find as this is to often used by sellers to justify a badly neglected machine. Also I find it hard to justify riding a bike covered in rust.
This is neglect in my opinion and refinishing rusted parts is nothing more than on going maintenance. Is it restoration to refinish rusted parts and fit new
parts if required? Not to me it's not, it's keeping the flipping thing in decent riding condition.
However, I do accept that we all have different views and the thing that is of primary importance is simply the enjoyment and enthusiasm
for our old clunkers.