AJS racers in CMRC or VMCC?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
ajs_16ms

AJS racers in CMRC or VMCC?

Post by ajs_16ms »

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting into classic racing and so have been to a few classic meets.
I thought I'd see more AJS or Matchless presence but unfortunately not!
Why is that then? Are Triumphs, BSAs just more available? AJs and Ms can tune up!?
Tyrefryer

Re: AJS racers in CMRC or VMCC?

Post by Tyrefryer »

Hi, there's quite a few G50s racing, especially in the Landsdowne series which is being led by Mike Edwards on a G50 ( If you can afford it you can buy a brand new one!

I race a Rudge and a BSA with BHR and use my AJS 16C for trials, I would love to race an AJS but unless you can afford a G50, 7R or cammy pre-war competition bike (I certainly couldn't), maybe the best options would be the unit construction singles or twins in the later classes? I know someone who had some success with a lightweight AJS single in the 60s.

I thought the same as you, it would be great to see more AMC bikes racing.

Have you got a bike, or a bike in mind, that you're thinking of racing?
Last edited by Tyrefryer on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Some very rare prewar AJS in Sammy Miller museum. v 4 etc.
ajs_16ms

Post by ajs_16ms »

Thanks guys,

I certainly didn't know about that Lansdowne series, some nice G50s there, still no AJs, shame! ;-)

Maybe I'll get my 16MS 'tuned' up! Turned out it was a 500 when the engine was overhauled, so maybe it does have a colorful history already. Seems to be quite nippy around town anyway (although does seem to top out about 60! hmmm)

Apart from that TyreFryer, I have picked up a little '74 CB200 that I thought of 'RC-ing' but that might be a bit too much for it? Maybe I'll look for a CB250/350 instead?
Tyrefryer

Post by Tyrefryer »

I'd like to see you race the AJS but a CB250/350 would be easier (less of a challenge though).

If you use the AJS you'd probably be best to go with BHR (VMCC) and you'll have a ball, lovely bunch of people. You should do it, it would be unique and you'd have nothing to prove as I don't think many would think it competitive. So you'd have great fun being the underdog.

Do it and PM me if you'd like to have a chat about it. :beer: