G80CS Questions from a Newbie

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Transatlantic

G80CS Questions from a Newbie

Post by Transatlantic »

Hi All,
I'm new here -I just acquired a nice 1958 G80CS , but one that's over the years been given a street look ( big tank/ airbox/ front rear mudguards/ bars). My project for the winter ( I live in Vermont and you can't ride in the winter :( will be to make this into a scrambler again.

I have a few questions and I'd be grateful for some help:

Its a '58 model and I think they switched to girling shocks on the back that year - I like the Jampot look , so will these easily fit as replacements?

There is a very large Oil tank (Rt sided) with airbox/ battery cover on the left which I'd like to swap out for a smaller less bulky look which I've seen in some photos - any suggestions, and will the smaller air box / oil tank fit easily ?

looks like parts are plentiful at least in the UK ? - I've identified some suppliers, but any suggestions for Front/ rear alu mudguards and CS type dual seat would be great.
I love the bike and can't wait to get started on it !
Best
Richard
clive

Re: G80CS Questions from a Newbie

Post by clive »

If it is a 58 CS the top mounting point for the shocks will be different for the girlings and the jampots won't fit. The bottom mounts should be the same. You could possibly adapt your frame at the top but I would advise against doing anything permanent to change it. If you have a genuine CS the rear subframe is quite rare and if you modify it you will definitely detract from the resale value.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix