G80CS Engine removal

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Transatlantic

G80CS Engine removal

Post by Transatlantic »

I'm starting my winter renovation project on my '58 G80CS and I'm going to tear down everything , powder coat the frame etc.
so following the Matchless Manuals, there is a section on removing the cylinder head which starts off with removing the tank, then rocker cover etc.
On my bike there is not clearance to remove the rocker cover with the engine in situ (there is the top frame member right above it), I did improvise and remove the studs that hold the rocker cover bolts, then by rotating the rocker cover the pushrods and eventually the rocker cover can be removed.
I was wondering if this is the norm or if there is a better way. I would have thought that something like this would have been covered in the manual ?

Thanks!
Rob Harknett

Re: G80CS Engine removal

Post by Rob Harknett »

Seems you have found it is covered in the manual. However on a single I have removed the tank next the head steady plate, then the rocker cover.
Don Madden

Re: G80CS Engine removal

Post by Don Madden »

Remove all the rockerbox studs except the two that hold the head steady bracket & the one to the rear. Loosen those, raise the assembly & tilt to the left to remove them, then the rockerbox will slide out. Assemble in reverse order. First check all stud threaded holes for damage as I usually find one or more needing inserts, especially the ones that hold the head steady bracket. Cheers, Don.