1958 G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Transatlantic

1958 G80CS

Post by Transatlantic »

Hi!
I'm trying to find some pictures of the specific 1958 G80CS model, so far I've found various years but nothing definitively that year.
It seems like the oil tank location, air filter and exhaust pipe all changed frequently throughout the lifespan of the model.
I have a 1958 G80CS, but over the years it's been fitted with roadster parts , and i want to return it to its original configuration.
Any help with finding some pics to base my restoration on would be great
Thanks!
Rob Harknett

Re: 1958 G80CS

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I have never owned the 1958 G80CS but have seen a few. I am generally familiar with most of the CS models up to 1963. The oil tank is of the pannier type on R/H side but the mounting brackets on the back are different from the touring & it should have the external mount battery holder & kidney shaped tool box on L/H side. If you send me a PM I'll research specific questions the best I can. An ex-pat Welshman, George Barnes, (A49g80@aol.com), has one, in complete condition here in California but is over 200mi distant so inconvenient for me to take photos. I have a very similar 1957 G80CS sitting in my garage right now for repair but I've finished with it & expect the owner to come by on the weekend to pick it up. This friend has time only on weekends but I'm sure he is willing to help. I still have my first AMC bike, a 1956 G3LCS, purchased from Bud Ekins that year but there were many changes for the 1957 model year. Also have a 1956 18CS on my bench undergoing renovation. Cheers! Don!
Transatlantic

Post by Transatlantic »

:D Awesome - Thanks Rob! they really did change these around over the years !-I was surprised to see the low slung muffler and standard headlamp
Transatlantic

Post by Transatlantic »

Don Madden wrote:I have never owned the 1958 G80CS but have seen a few. I am generally familiar with most of the CS models up to 1963. The oil tank is of the pannier type on R/H side but the mounting brackets on the back are different from the touring & it should have the external mount battery holder & kidney shaped tool box on L/H side. If you send me a PM I'll research specific questions the best I can. An ex-pat Welshman, George Barnes, (A49g80@aol.com), has one, in complete condition here in California but is over 200mi distant so inconvenient for me to take photos. I have a very similar 1957 G80CS sitting in my garage right now for repair but I've finished with it & expect the owner to come by on the weekend to pick it up. This friend has time only on weekends but I'm sure he is willing to help. I still have my first AMC bike, a 1956 G3LCS, purchased from Bud Ekins that year but there were many changes for the 1957 model year. Also have a 1956 18CS on my bench undergoing renovation. Cheers! Don!
Hi Don
thanks for the mass of information I'll PM you as you suggest, and try to send you some photos of what I have along with my questions
this is very helpful !
Best
Richard