g80cs identity

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
John Jarrett

Re: g80cs identity

Post by John Jarrett »

Clive,
Others may correct me, but the engine number looks like a genuine CS number for 57 to me.... you may have mistaken the C on the end as a 0.
Regards,
John
clive

Post by clive »

New glasses are on order, it does indeed look like a C not a 0 at the end :oops: in that case I think Jack has nothing much to worry about, only he (and those of us that read the forum!) know that the numbers don't match factory dispatch records. It's a great looking bike.

As Jack is UK based he might want to have the speedo recalibrated from KPH to MPH with a new face and bezel which I could help him with, OH NO now I have to tell myself off for advertising on the forum :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Jackb 754

Post by Jackb 754 »

Thanks every one for the reply's, I'm not to bothered that the numbers don't match up as iv bought the bike to use.
I have to get the bike registered but once that's sorted I will certainly be getting it out over the summer. i do need to get the speedo sorted so i'll send clive a pm
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Comparing to those in our North American registry, the engine no. is consistant with a 1957 G80CS The bike bits look correct for a 1957 except the Alfin barrel as the factory made their own. The decal alluding to the felt oil filter is incorrect as the fest tank filter was dropped for all models in 1956. The oil tank should be a modified touring type with extra bracket welded to back. The frame no. is important & should be stamped into R/H side of steering head. Nice bike! Cheers! Don.
Jackb 754

Post by Jackb 754 »

Thanks for the info don, do you have any records on the frame number or the frame number the engine was matched to ? The bike was imported from LA to Holland in 1990 but this is all the info I have on the bike
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Nice looking bike. As has been commented already the engine number and lettering is consistent with a 1957 model and the frame also appears to be of about the same year. Judging from the photos, the headlamp is a QD type and may well be the correct one for the year. My 1956 G80CS has a relatively small headlamp (original item), 5" or 5.5" (have not measured) and has 1/4" (or so) spacers between the headlamp brackets and shell. The main stand has small extensions at the ends which is correct for the CS models to counter 21" front wheel and knobbies.
The 140km/h speedo is probably not the one fitted originally. Standard issue for G80CS from 1956 (if fitted) was either 120mph or 180km/h. If the bike is on road gearing (21 tooth front sprocket) and mechanically sound it will do 160km/h and a bit on full throttle. Would probably change the tires first though...
The vent pipe on the magneto should be connected to a pipe or tube that runs up the front frame tube and under the tank, pointing back and down, to avoid water and road grit getting into the mag.
Best of luck with the bike!

Cheers