g80cs identity

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Jackb 754

g80cs identity

Post by Jackb 754 »

Iv recently bought this g80cs but having problems dating it iv been in touch with the dating office (Roy) and he says the bike is made up off bits but Iv bought the bike now and have to keep it I can't afford another. So I'm after some advice on what the bike is and what parts are not the comp iv looked at a lot of pics and I'm strugglein to find out which parts are non competition. Any advice would be much apriciated. Please click the link for pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#a ... 7677991713
clive

Re: g80cs identity

Post by clive »

I think we have to sign in to your account to view this pictures. Is there a public setting for them?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

What is the album number? as the link goes to main sign in page, but it is possible to search :idea:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Jackb 754

Post by Jackb 754 »

iv tried again please click the link hope it work this time

https://picasaweb.google.com/1014313481 ... directlink
Jackb 754

Post by Jackb 754 »

i'll try again please click the link for the pics

https://picasaweb.google.com/1014313481 ... directlink
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

I'm not going to comment on which bits are comp' or not as I'm not an expert (well having said that I do have two bitsas), one will be along soon. It is a lovely looking machine to my eye! I would be proud to own and ride it and whether a machine is as it rolled off the production line (how many really are) or made up of a a few bikes, at least it's a bike of the marque still on the road. Again - lovely looking machine (bit clean though - go find some puddles).
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

The real question is ; A bitza or a special?
What year is the frame? Then we can tel what is , perhaps, ahem, modified.
Nice Alfin barrel and other bit's, Pre '55 headlamp and gigantic speedo!!! (off a Vinny perhaps, small fortune!)

All in all it's a cracking looking bike :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
clive

Post by clive »

The speedo is the right size, simply in kilometres per hour instead of MPH and foreshortening by the camera makes it look too big. It does have the wrong chrome bezel. The horn looks unusual. The engine has a nice Wellworthy Alfin barrel, not sure if the were factory fitted, but the engine number is for a standard road model not a CS. I would be inclined to stop worrying about it, the bike is a beauty. Join the club and enjoy riding it.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Lovely bike. The primary chaincase should have a shorter front bulge. The horn is obviously a modern pattern (no problem just put it under the seat out of sight.) The frame looks correct for 57 or 58 (one piece subframe and rear tank mounting is a stud through the frame). I can only suggest Roy is saying the engine and frame numbers are not from the same bike or not original. I wouldn't worry about it (its very hard to read the numbers when you're riding along!) just enjoy a superb bike.
Cheers Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

saltbox alf wrote:The real question is ; A bitza or a special?
It's said that if it's yours it's a special; if it's someone else's it's a bitza ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'