AJS 16c rebuild

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Ianjenn

AJS 16c rebuild

Post by Ianjenn »

The latest project is 16c AJS picked up from ebay which was in a sorry state.

It had been dismantled and left outside for 20 years with only the engine stored inside. So after a 600mile round trip it was back in the garage and ready for work. This was in December and I have made some progress in the last few months.

It had the old buff log book and the old style log book which appeared to show only 2 previous owners. With fingers and toes crossed I posted off the DVLA slip to notify change of owner. 2 weeks later the new style log book arrived in my name. :D :D

I stripped the frame and took all bits to the powder coaters and sent the tank off to have the dents removed.

A previous owner had gone nuts with a drill bit and put holes in everything. The engine plates looked like swiss cheese, I have knocked up some aluminium engine plates.
The magneto had no spark and after further investigation it appeared that the windings had gone bad so that was taken to preston for a rewire.

The forks were in a mess so I have rebuilt using new stanchions and have had new springs made to original specs (by Alberta springs - brilliant job)

The engine and gearbox have been stripped and rebuilt with new bearings. It still had the original piston at standard size and after a quick hone and ridge ream it was re-assembled. It took me about 10 goes to properly index the gearbox.

The wheels were in a sorry state due to being left outside so needed a full rebuild.

I am currently waiting on a few bits to arrive to make further progress so thought it was time to do a quick write up.
dave16mct

Re: AJS 16c rebuild

Post by dave16mct »

Looking good Alex!
Dave.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Ditto.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
bitza

Post by bitza »

Well done bud, job's looking a good un, another saved from the scrappie.
Ianjenn

Post by Ianjenn »

made a bit of progress, have the forks fitted and they look quite good. I have also put on the hagon shocks although I am not sure I have the springs in the right way round? Should the tighter coil section be to the top or bottom? Next job is to fit the speedo.

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Looks great!
I recently bought a pair of rear units direct from Hagons and they have the tighter coils at the bottom, as yours.
Whichever way up the springs are fitted (including front fork springs) it makes no difference to the springs' performance - but fitting them with the tighter coils at the bottom as opposed to at the top will give you a competitive advantage with a lower centre of gravity. ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

like that! is the triangulation at the headstock a normal feature or has it been added later? kind regard
Ianjenn

Post by Ianjenn »

Yes I was hoping someone would comment on that, It is quite a neat job but presumably it didn't leave the factory like that. The original owner has been quite fanatical about drilling holes all over the place.
Brake shoes arrived back with a nice new pad. The brake plate is binding a bit on the hub. So either something is not quite right with the spacers or the powder coating is so thick it is catching.
Ianjenn

Post by Ianjenn »

A bit more progress. wheels on, cables all connected. trial fitted my authentic (Chinese speedo sensor!) :o

Finally moved the bike off the building platform and on to the ground so I can fit foot rests. The only thing I still need to source is a side stand or centre stand as the bike came with neither. So if anyone has one they would be willing to sell, I would be most grateful. I can lengthen a standard stand easily enough. The next job is to wait for some fine weather so I can spray the tank (that could be a while). I also need armours to pull their fingers out and get some more exhausts in stock. then the last job is the front mudguard. Onwards and upwards

Expat

Post by Expat »

Great looking job Ianjenn. I always admire the perseverance you guys have with these refurb jobs.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)