'56 G80CS Details?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Matchymarty

'56 G80CS Details?

Post by Matchymarty »

Hi all,
I'm in the process of buying a '56 G80CS to be brother to my '55.
Just wondering if anyone has details on toolbox and horn location for the '56? I thought from my reading of Roy Bacon's book of restoration inexactitude, that the tool box shifted to the left, and horn to right on the '56. Can anyone confirm?

The bike I'm looking at has horn on left and no toolbox.
Any help appreciated. :)
Rob Harknett

Re: '56 G80CS Details?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Parts list only gives one toolbox on G80CS that being the Kidney type I believe.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Tool box on the left, horn on the right above the silencer mounted on a bracket fixed from the single saddle lug. I wouldn't worry too much about it not having a toolbox as my 56 350 CS hasn't ever had one fitted. The holes are in the mudguard but no witness marks are evident of there ever being one, ali is so soft that if the y shaped bracket that holds the tool box on had ever been fitted there'd have been some form of marking but there isn't. The CS toolboxes are different from the roadster ones than are in production at the moment so unless your desperate I wouldn't bother fitting one.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

As I recall there is a space & bolt/nut on top & a butterfly shaped aluminum bracket behind. The bracket & many other competition only parts are available from the North American Section. I am renovating a 1956 18CS, mostly identical, but have not yet attached the toolbox, which resides in one of the many boxes the project came in. For photos other info send me a PM with your email address. Cheers! Don.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

ajscomboman wrote:Tool box on the left, horn on the right above the silencer mounted on a bracket fixed from the single saddle lug. I wouldn't worry too much about it not having a toolbox as my 56 350 CS hasn't ever had one fitted. The holes are in the mudguard but no witness marks are evident of there ever being one, ali is so soft that if the y shaped bracket that holds the tool box on had ever been fitted there'd have been some form of marking but there isn't. The CS toolboxes are different from the roadster ones than are in production at the moment so unless your desperate I wouldn't bother fitting one.
My '56 (I just took delivery yesterday - finally!) has the horn on the left and no box on the right. Also, there's a pump mount on the LHS, soooo... dammit... looks like my subframe is from a '55.
The other thing is, the tank seems to be a little wider than my '55, (though haven't measured it yet) and it has crappy screwed in 'M's. Did the compy's have a screwed on M for '56? I thought they were decals....
20160511_172659 (Large).jpg
20160511_172545 (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

AMC gearbox?
Thought they weren't introduced until '57.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Stuoyb wrote:AMC gearbox?
Thought they weren't introduced until '57.
Hmm... I noticed that too. Not 100% sure, and more so, not sure if USA delivered had different specs...??