'56 G80CS Bum numbing Vibration??

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
ajscomboman

Re: '56 G80CS Bum numbing Vibration??

Post by ajscomboman »

You have the head steady bolted down tight as well I presume? If that is the case, then yes I think you ought to be delving into the cases. Both my 56 CS models are almost vibe free and certainly don't numb the bum or get anywhere near to it.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

ajscomboman wrote:You have the head steady bolted down tight as well I presume? If that is the case, then yes I think you ought to be delving into the cases. Both my 56 CS models are almost vibe free and certainly don't numb the bum or get anywhere near to it.
Well, I haven't yet checked the head bolts, but i am supecting flywheel imbalance. When it idles, the engine wobbles(occilates) for and aft in the frame. I can only sumise that this may be due to flywheel imbalance?

Pitty... engine doesn't leak a drop.

Anyways... looks like some delving needs to be done. Perhaps I might take the opportunity to get the flywheels balanced and polished at the same time :)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Matchymarty wrote:
Well, I haven't yet checked the head bolts,.....
To avoid any confusion, Rob was referring to the heady steady bolts which secure the steady plate from the cyl head to the under-tank top tube of the frame. You do have one I suppose?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Don't think the head steady would cause a great deal more vibration if it was loose. Unless exaggerated , I think there's something else at fault to cause vibration you appear to have.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
Matchymarty wrote:
Well, I haven't yet checked the head bolts,.....
To avoid any confusion, Rob was referring to the heady steady bolts which secure the steady plate from the cyl head to the under-tank top tube of the frame. You do have one I suppose?
aahh... sorry Spriddler.. .My mistake. Yes, Mis-interpreted that. I have checked the 'head steady' bolts when I ran over the engine/frame bolts the last night.

I haven't checked the clutch, though, it is operating well, (strangely, very lightly) although, perhaps the nut could be loose causing clutch wobble? No shudder or anything though....
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Won't be the clutch and being Burman it will be very light. The fore and aft movement of the engine in the frame really does indicate a serious flywheel alignment issue or a bloody great 12-1 high comp piston being fitted. Either way looks like you'll be having to take the motor down.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

ajscomboman wrote:Won't be the clutch and being Burman it will be very light. The fore and aft movement of the engine in the frame really does indicate a serious flywheel alignment issue or a bloody great 12-1 high comp piston being fitted. Either way looks like you'll be having to take the motor down.
Bugger.
The peril of buying a 'restored' bike once again bites me. 3 bikes bought over 12 months, all 3 with major redo issues. sigh....
At least I'm learning a lot! :)
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Sounds like an overweight piston to me. I weighed an original piston with rings & original taper bore gudgeon pin at 21.3oz/602gr. Cheers! Don
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Don Madden wrote:Sounds like an overweight piston to me. I weighed an original piston with rings & original taper bore gudgeon pin at 21.3oz/602gr. Cheers! Don
Thanks Don. That's the Short stroke piston?

I'll be putting the bike up on the table this weekend to start the pull down.
:)
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Yes, the figures I gave were for the factory original G80CS, short stroke engine. They apply for years 1956-59. Cheers! Don.