Matchless G85cs

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50

Re: Matchless G85cs

Post by 242017 »

The bike that you describe seems to be the genuine article... Unfortunately the only competition records that survive refer to the Matchless G85cs scrambles bike which 99% went to the states..That series started in June 1966.....Which does not take into account the factory bikes of Eastwood, Nicholl & Horsefield...plus the speedway & grasstrack bikes using the same motor

Does your bike have the loose magneto fitting ?

The prefix G85cs on the motor refers to the complete bike....eg 18cs on the crankcases

The G80 cs engine is identical as the G85cs engine of that year

Though the speedway/grasstrack bikes may have had alterations done for their specific uses

I have seen an ex Arter Matchless grasstrack engine similar to yours used in a Rickman scrambles bike....But as a grasstrack bike you seem to have a rare beast...I do not know offhand how many were made...Not many I would hazard a guess
Best Wishes Geoff
lxmlvll

Post by lxmlvll »

Hi Geoff,
I spoke to Mr Rodney Kinnaird who bought it as a new machine, a Matchmaker, from Jack Emmott at a 1968 motorcycle show, although I'm not sure which one.
The forks and front wheel were changed by Emmott to forks with more suspension travel than the ones fitted, and a better brake on the front wheel, as Irish grasstrack courses have hills and bumps. The handlebars were also changed to ones more suitable for the customer.
I was informed that Jack Emmott was involved with the off-road competition development of factory machinery, also officiating at a London speedway track (poss Westham) in his spare time. He constructed a number of speedway and grasstrack machines using AMC competition engines, which he sold. The machine I have is thought to be the only one left more or less complete.
One little point I'd like to make is that in an earlier post it was stated that the G85cs and the G80cs were the same but hasn't one got a centrally positioned spark plug, while on the other the plug is sited in the same position as the plug on the road going 500?
I made an error when typing my first post, the serial number is 168 instead of 166.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

lxmlvll wrote: I was informed that Jack Emmott was involved with the off-road competition development of factory machinery, also officiating at a London speedway track (poss Westham) in his spare time. He constructed a number of speedway and grasstrack machines using AMC competition engines, which he sold. The machine I have is thought to be the only one left more or less complete.
If you put Jack Emmott G85CS into Google you'll get this result:
(right click the link below and open in new window)

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q= ... mott+G85cs

It gives several pages of 'hits' and loads of history, info, photos, tech spec, and articles about the Matchmaker, grasstrack races and his machines and his book 'Jack Emmott's Engines'.
Here's just one photo:

Maybe you've done that already.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
lxmlvll

Post by lxmlvll »

Thanks for that.
I did some research a few years ago, but not those specific terms. I'm pleased that there seems to be some new stuff.
Perhaps you could tell me how to post a photo (I was unsuccessful earlier), and I will show you the bike as found.
Sadly it is still in the same state.

Post by 242017 »

No the Matchless G 80 cs engines and the Matchless G85cs engines are for the same year identical.....The G85 prefix states is was fitted to a Matchless scrambler frame....
clive

Post by clive »

lxmlvll wrote:Thanks for that.
I did some research a few years ago, but not those specific terms. I'm pleased that there seems to be some new stuff.
Perhaps you could tell me how to post a photo (I was unsuccessful earlier), and I will show you the bike as found.
Sadly it is still in the same state.
Not sure if it is possible to upload a photo for a guest member. If it is there will be an "upload attachment" in the line below the submit button. click on it, upload the photo, then click on place inline and it should be there.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix