Compression Ratio & Gearing?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Don Madden

Re: Compression Ratio & Gearing?

Post by Don Madden »

Note that the Burman & AMC gearboxes use a different spacer behind the engine sprocket. The models with AMC 'box have a wider spacer to align the chain run better. If changing from one type to 'tother do check the alignment with a straight edge. Don.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Thanks Don.
I'll check when I put the engine back in.

I took your advice and have ordered the 22T engine sprocket together with all new bearings and bushes. New big end also.
I'm still struggling to find a +0.040" Piston, as I've decided against the JP Piston from Australia. I'm not happy with the one I have in my '55, so don't want to have the same issue in 2000 miles. I want a NOS Hepolite, Robbins or Wellworthy or NOS Matchless, or something. PML have not got back to me about machining or using a compression plate. So, I'm still on the hunt!
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Marty,

Just a thought:

It appears (to me at least) that your 56 G80CS has been "updated" with a later AMC gearbox and clutch. Could the previous owner have fitted a 1960s type head also? The 1960 head is different from 56 and requires a different piston.

Bjørn
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

bjorn wrote:Marty,

Just a thought:

It appears (to me at least) that your 56 G80CS has been "updated" with a later AMC gearbox and clutch. Could the previous owner have fitted a 1960s type head also? The 1960 head is different from 56 and requires a different piston.

Bjørn
Bjorn,
Now you're opening a can of worms! hehehe. How would I tell the difference between heads?
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Marty,

The 56 - 59 CS heads have interrupted finning in the spark plug area. The 60 onwards motor have continuous cooling fins. See the photo below.

There are a number of other differences as well, the 60 onwards heads are 5mm higher, have different valve diameters and valve lengths. Combustion chambers are different and later type pistons cannot be used in 56 - 59 heads.

There has been some discussion on the forum earlier regarding plug position on the 56 - 59 heads. The 56 heads I have seen have the plug mounted on the side, later models (from 57?) had a central plug firing through a slot. See photos.

Bjørn
'58 CS cyl head.JPG
'56 CS cyl head.jpg
'58 and '65 CS cyl heads .JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

While I am at it.......

Photos below of 56 CS and 60 CS pistons. Also combustion chamber of 60 type cyl head.

Bjørn
'56 and '65 CS 8.7 pistons.JPG
'65 CS cyl head.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Bjorn,

Thanks so much! This makes it easy to see. Definitely I have a '56 head then according to your description. :)
Photo of your '56 piston also gives me the confidence to purchase one I have found online. My piston seems to have a considerably higher crown than yours, but by the looks, yours may be a Robbins with more of a Domed look to it.

Maybe there's a slight difference in compression ratio.

Cheers.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Here are a couple of pics of my '56 piston. I can't see any marks on it to know what brand it is. Seems to look similar to Hepolite pics online with the high crown. I couldn't be certain though.
20161107_045040 (Medium).jpg
20161107_045050 (Medium).jpg