Restoring a G80 CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
John Jarrett

Re: Restoring a G80 CS

Post by John Jarrett »

Clive,
It's a little difficult to tell when the change to remove the buffer springs from the front forks on the G80CS took place.....they are definitely in the spares books for 59 and 60. There are only supplemental lists for 61 and 62. There was no change in respect of the front forks in the 61 list, but the 62 list shows different main springs (but without mentioning the removal of the buffer spring). It may be that the change took place in late 61.
As long as the main spring and the buffer spring are a match it should work. So potentially the solution is to replace the main spring if it is too short (assuming the buffer springs are not in the forks) or to retain the earlier (short) main spring and put some buffer springs in the forks and go with the set up in place up to 60/61.
John
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

John Jarrett wrote:Clive,
It's a little difficult to tell when the change to remove the buffer springs from the front forks on the G80CS took place.....they are definitely in the spares books for 59 and 60. There are only supplemental lists for 61 and 62. There was no change in respect of the front forks in the 61 list, but the 62 list shows different main springs (but without mentioning the removal of the buffer spring). It may be that the change took place in late 61.
As long as the main spring and the buffer spring are a match it should work. So potentially the solution is to replace the main spring if it is too short (assuming the buffer springs are not in the forks) or to retain the earlier (short) main spring and put some buffer springs in the forks and go with the set up in place up to 60/61.
John
Thanks John. I will have to remove and strip the forks. Stay tuned!
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

Well I havent been able to get back to the bike as yet. Had a lot of things going on. Lost my brother in a boating accident, boat capsized at sea, throwing three of us into the water, two survived by clinging to the upturned boat for 4 hours, I could not duck dive down far enough to get the EPIRB, very lucky as a boat just happened to come along and spotted a glint off the upturned hull, I reckon I would not have lasted much longer, maybe 30 minutes.
This has changed me a bit, I am trimming down my bikes, sold my 61 Triumph T110, still got the G80CS, still got a couple of hotrods to sell and then,,,, retirement!!!!
I will get to the front forks eventually!
Shorty