56 G80 CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Mick D

Re: 56 G80 CS

Post by Mick D »

ajscomboman wrote: I guess they've been swelling for a while and the latest round of baking hot weather and oil was enough
Hi

Out of curiosity, what oil are you using - brand, type, viscosity?

Regards Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Mick D wrote:
ajscomboman wrote: I guess they've been swelling for a while and the latest round of baking hot weather and oil was enough
Hi

Out of curiosity, what oil are you using - brand, type, viscosity?

Regards Mick
SAE 50, I get it from Rye Oils. Use it in all the motors and not had any problems so far.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Rob , Rye oil is tractor oil and not specifically blended for motorcycles . I know much cheaper but you get what you pay for
if you check out the classification you will see the difference , a bit like Asda own brand Vs Castrol
It might be that the oil has caused the 'plumber's O rings to swell or perhaps you payed the extra for Viton O rings

Just a thought
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

g80csp11 wrote:Rob , Rye oil is tractor oil and not specifically blended for motorcycles . I know much cheaper but you get what you pay for
if you check out the classification you will see the difference , a bit like Asda own brand Vs Castrol
It might be that the oil has caused the 'plumber's O rings to swell or perhaps you payed the extra for Viton O rings

Just a thought
As well as tractor oil they also do a vintage classic oil for classic cars etc and that's what I use.

Not sure about the rings but as long as the new ones are not plumbers type I'll be happy.