matchless G85CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
itma

matchless G85CS

Post by itma »

Yes, nothing exciting just fitting silly bits to the first Commandos.

I remember every detail of those bikes I mentioned as I had never seen one before, I thought it was the most beautiful bike I had ever seen; I drooled over them end to end.
Never forgot them, nor the crime of badge swapping whatever they were. I can see them now.

pure art on wheels.

buying one even if they had wanted to sell me one was way out of reach on AMC wages, about 15£ a week.

matchless G85CS

Post by 242017 »

The problem is concerning the Matchless G85cs is that there is too much rubbish said about it with so few who know what they are talking about...things like "metisse" look alike and 25 mystery "norton" G85cs appearing and then disapearing into the mists of time...Very weird!!
Geoff Maple
mdt-son

matchless G85CS

Post by mdt-son »

Greetings Geoff,

good to hear from you again. What happened to Frank Kuyl? Last time I was able to enter his pages, he had turned interest towards classic racing and G50s. If he doesn't get on line again, do you know if his picture archive is secured somewhere? It would be a pity if its lost. I may be able to provide a new web presence but a better home would probably be Christian's archive.

Knut Sonsteby
mdt-son

matchless G85CS

Post by mdt-son »

quote:
Yes, nothing exciting just fitting silly bits to the first Commandos.

Itma,
that's very interesting nonetheless. Being an engineer and historically interested, I have researched life at AMC quite a bit in recent years. I suppose you have read the "Apprentice" book? You have a lot to fill in there I guess.

One issue has been on my mind for years: I would like to recreate a layout plan of the factory. Are you able to offer some advise? Even though you were a fitter, I assume you knew the various departments? There are some clues in the Apprentice book and in various mag articles but nothing conclusive.

Knut Sonsteby

PGGuse

matchless G85CS

Post by PGGuse »

matchless G85CS

Post by 242017 »

Hello Knut,
I helped out Frank with a few engines and rebuilt a gearbox for him..Then he seemed to get problems with his knees and I dont think he ever raced any of his G85´s....Last time I heard from him he was trying to sell one at Kempton Park Auto jumble...How are you getting along with yours?
Im getting ready for the 2012 season with I think my first race in April in France.....I changed the forks inside on my G85 and now I enjoy riding it again
Best Wishes Geoff
Franks website still exists
itma

matchless G85CS

Post by itma »

Hello Knut.

A plan of the factory? that'll be a job.
I can remember the layout of the production line and can even have some pics of the end of it where the bikes came off.
They were not too keen to show the rest, it wasnt state of the art exactly.

As for the rest it was a rambling grubby old place, hardly laid out to best practice. Health and safety barely came into it anyway, these days it would probably be condemned.
On top of that staff were actively discouraged from visiting other parts of the works; if you wanted I could sketch out what I remember.

What might interest you is that a lot of old 1940's /60s Aeriel reconnaissance photos of the London area from govt archives have been released and are on sale.

I have always had a sneaking feelin[ wont say remember] that a lot more G85 engines than bikes were made. I remeber an article in one of the motorcycle papers reporting that a guy in Norwood south london, had done a deal to use G85 engines in road racers with his own frame, at least one was built, but I have a feeling the end of AMC fixed that.

around 1978/9/80 there seemed to be alot about, I sent one out to Spain in a Rickaman Metisse frame, and sold at least 2 1/2 engines to Germany where there was a fad for fitting them into Featherbed framed cafe racers.

Rob Harknett

matchless G85CS

Post by Rob Harknett »

G85CS Scrambler introduced in the 1966 model range,Simular to G80CS but with higher comp engine. New lighter frame with more rigid rear sub frame. 7R type rear hub with8 1/4 " brake. 2 gal fibre glass tank. Would had been available at & after the Nov approx motor cycle show 1965. Discontinued July 1966 with eng no. 296 and frame number 328. I'll leave you to decide what number the frames & engines started as to how many were made.

matchless G85CS

Post by 242017 »

Eastwood had the first G85cs which was different to Nicolls..then Horsefield at James got one after he bent Dave Curtis old factory bike at Namur..Then horsefield put the matchless engine and g/box into a metisse and got into "hot water" from woolwich.....so then he got an Nicoll type G85cs as well.....Not sure how many "factory bikes" there were and they were all a bit different...Matchless then left it far too long to produce a series of them with Fibre glass tanks and airbox....made by Seeley.So Series production started in 24th June 1966...with frame no.11183 with engine 197
They could only get rid of them to the states as the CZ 360 two stroke had taken over the 500 class at motorcross by that time....(hence the pre-65 motocross club)
Series ended after 100 bikes with frame number 1133 and engine 265 on the 15/7/67.
All but a very few went to the states........I agree with itma a hell of a lot more motors were made than were fitted to G85cs frames....Metisse had an aweful lot but these were stamped SU then a number....Matchless even advertised the motor for speedway use.....
A short stroke competition 500 engine with a norton pump is stamped G80cs there is no difference in this engine or one stamped G85cs....Though there was a choice of pistons....G85cs is the complete bike not just an engine..
Geoff Maple
I have a copy of the factory records for G85cs from 24/6/1966 to 15/7/67.....but no records before or after
Geoff

matchless G85CS

Post by 242017 »

Last frame number was 11333 ..sorry about that