Typhoon Numbers

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Don Madden

Typhoon Numbers

Post by Don Madden »

I am initiating the manufacture of Typhoon pistons & seek info on how many were originally made in 1959 & 1960-up & how many owners seek these parts. As with other AMC engines, the top end was re-designed for the 1960 & later models.

I know that very few were made for 1959 & not that many for later, all for export, I believe. I know of a couple of these machines re-imported to the UK & there are others down under so anyone interested, please contact me. The pistons will be supplied by PMLI, who already supply sets for the 1960-up G80CS.

Cheers, Don.
577typhoon

Typhoon Numbers

Post by 577typhoon »

Hi Don,
I believe that the 1959 TCS had a 87.5mm piston (made by Wellworthy?) and only about 25-50 machines were produced before the bore was taken out to 89mm for 1960 onwards. I thought I had a list of engine numbers for CS & TCS models 1959-1963 - I'll try and find it this week. Kind regards, Ralph
Don Madden

Typhoon Numbers

Post by Don Madden »

Thanks, Ralph. The service manual only gives: 3.5in for the bore, 88.9mm, so must be for the later engine. Your numbers will be very welcome for our feasability study but interested potention buyers must open their wallets. I have posted the info on Yahoo & Delphi fora, too & will contact the club editors. Cheers, Don.
rex.webb

Typhoon Numbers

Post by rex.webb »

Love the name
"DELPHI FLORA "
Is she avalible WORLD WIDE ??
We have "FLORA SPREAD" over here ,wonderfull stuff.
Keep up the "GOOD WORK" !!!.
Ride with Care and LIVE LONG to ENJOY our BIKE,s.
r w webb
Malleon

Typhoon Numbers

Post by Malleon »

We also had Flora Heard and Flora Robson, but I think Don was referring to 'FORA' as the plural of 'FORUM'.
I know that Latin is not included in the current school curricula, but neither is English grammar, it seems.
Let's go back to the days before text messages , computers and such examples of progress..
I will now retire to my Anderson bomb shelter.
Best regards.
Don Madden

Typhoon Numbers

Post by Don Madden »

I have little formal education, mostly self trained as I did not complete our primary level, high school, entering the US Army at age 17, a year before my schoolmates graduated. But "forums" seems to grate on my ear. Only one works now, y'know. I did, however work up the ladder through electronic technician, engineer, group manager & retired as Director of Engineering. Obviously, my education is incomplete compared to others in my chosen field. Cheers, Don.
Malleon

Typhoon Numbers

Post by Malleon »

Coincidentally, Don, only one of my ears is now working !
I wish thatI had your knowledge and experience of electronics and engineering (I failed my G C E in physics), and I have the greatest respect for your advice on matters Matchless; you've probably forgotten more than I will ever know. Perhaps you and Itma could pool your savvy in print, I would buy a copy!
Best regards.
Don Madden

Typhoon Numbers

Post by Don Madden »

Ask your questions now, as I forget more each day. Actually, as I moved up in the engineering world I did have to take college math but only struggled with calculus. Is the plural calculi? I specialized in magnetic recording when the computer industry was developing magnetic storage tapes & disks & had a lot of good luck & support from my fellow workers. Many wound up working for me. Good days but am happy to be retired in good health. Cheers, Don.
DWS

Typhoon Numbers

Post by DWS »

quote: I would buy a copy!

Me too
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
nbmBruce

Typhoon Numbers

Post by nbmBruce »

Before I lose this thread, I am a new member to this site. Long story short, my '61 G80TCS had a seizure a few years ago, and going through the engine now, I have been advised that the top of the skirt was crushed and no longer has the original taper, so I'm on the hunt for piston and barrel. Did you get enough replies for the piston project? My wish would be for a standard size low compression piston (my current is a size plus040), but of course that will be dictated by what I can find for a barrel (may have to spend the bucks for resleeving). I would also be up for buyng a copy of the proposed book.