Petrol Tank

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Ninetoes

Petrol Tank

Post by Ninetoes »

A pal in Rugby is trying to rebuild his Dad's old 1935 AJS 350. There's no sign of the original petrol tank and he feels it unlikely that he'll ever come across one.
He's come up with the idea of taking a mould of a genuine article and making a replica in fibreglass. He would fit a fabricated steel tank inside the shell.
Does anyone have any helpful examples or ideas?
Rob Harknett

Petrol Tank

Post by Rob Harknett »

There is a little more to the petrol tank, it houses an instrument panel. There are people about that will make a replica tank.
A fibre glass tank will not look correct as I guess it will be all black.
It really depends what money you have to spend, Cheapest option would be find any tank that could easily be made to fit. Then use an 8" headlamp with the panel with switch and ampmetre only. If the bike has a good dynamo, dont use the 3rd brush as the regulator,discard it and use a modern electronic regulator. Why?? you will have problems finding a 4 possition switch. Even if you replicate the tank in fibre glass you are still probably looking at about £1,000 to complete it with the instrument panel. Most models have the panel lamp which if found could set you back £400 for a good replica in brass, horrible plasctic cheaper.
But them you do not say what model the bike is, if a coil model instruments in the panel differ.
Ninetoes

Petrol Tank

Post by Ninetoes »

Rob, as always, you are a fount of knowledge and information! I'm very grateful to you for your dedication to the cause, and perhaps a little thankful that I personally don't have a pre-war bike! Cheers, Andrew.