Model 26 1938 Front brake rod to cable connection

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
julian@brooksdevlin.com

Post by julian@brooksdevlin.com »

Dear all, I think I need some help regarding the cable connection to the front brake rod.

On taking apart the old assembly I found it very difficult to get the cable end out of the ferrule connector not sure what you call it but the rod screws in one end the cable into the other via its own threaded ferrule, I couldn't get the cable ends threaded tube out so I heated it up and its effectively broken in half! Now I'm truly stuck does anyone know if the cable end threaded tube is being made by anyone?

Best
Julian Brooks
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Julian

Have you asked on the Yahoo e-group, they are better versed in pre-war issues?

Rob H frequents both sites and will no doubt be along soon to advise.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

No one seems to be making these parts. thats the complete telescopic part that screws in the girders. We usualy have to make do with just an ordinary cable. You will have to make this cable up yourself.
Find an adjuster that will screw in the forks make your cable that far. Usualy theres a rod below the adjuster. Fit a piece of small bore rubber tube on the bare cable, it will look like a metal rod if you stand back far enough. Lastly fit the nipple, with the adjuster screwed down to give adjustment.
( I've just spent 24 hours at sea doing absolutely nothing, except drink coffee, but only when the bar was shut. )Edited by - Rob Harknett on 16 Sep 2012 11:04:37 PM
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

You YOUNG (AT HART) Rascall you . Never had to replace my Front brake cable "YET" !.
Basill Chilvers made up a cable and that is still OK .
Any pictures wanted give me a PM and i will take some .
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters.
Insured with Peter James.
r w webb
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have a totaly untouched original 38/26 Rex. Which is not quite true as a 47 head & dual seat was fitted. The original parts removed came seperate. It also had an all black tank which I replaced with an original untouched black & chrome tank. I had to re wire it, but kept all the original wire.
julian@brooksdevlin.com

Dear all,

thank you for the kind advices (?!) to conclude the saga I have found someone to make me up the threaded brass nipple in question, a skilled motorcycle engineer in Merriot (pronounced mert)near Crewkerne . Once made I will post a pic on the forum for posterities sake.

Best
Julian Brooks, Chard
julian@brooksdevlin.com

The saga has ended a newly manufactured 2ba threaded hollow nipple for the brake cable. A snip at £17. All engineering time mostly and further ones could be made more cheaply now he knows what to do. Is anyone interested?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe JJ Cables also make cables , plus speedo cables, but I do not have their lastest list of fittings they have available. But I think not the complete assembly that screws into the forks.
They also make most types of speedo cables.they just need lengths ad what fitting at each endEdited by - Rob Harknett on 18 Sep 2012 11:14:43 PM