ajs seris r

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
okeyokey

ajs seris r

Post by okeyokey »

i have been offered a 350cc seris r 1930 in good condition ,i like the look of the bike but have no idea what it is worth can anyone give me a clue
Rob Harknett

ajs seris r

Post by Rob Harknett »

What model that makes a big difference. Condition, originality etc all makes a big difference also, so pictures also frame engine & gearbox numbers would help.
Rob H prewar officer
okeyokey

ajs seris r

Post by okeyokey »

told it is a seris R is that not the model?? sorry i no nothing about bikes this old
rex.webb

ajs seris r

Post by rex.webb »

What model that makes a big difference. Condition, originality etc all makes a big difference also, so pictures also frame engine & gearbox numbers would help.
This is the way to get a true idear of .
A What you should be getting .
B What to look for when you see it .
C Pictures can give us a better Idear of the Machine .
r w webb
Rob Harknett

ajs seris r

Post by Rob Harknett »

R is just the year code letter for 1930 AJS.
From the numbers I asked for we can tell the year and model, Frame engine and gearbox all had the same number, when new. . So numbers will tell us if its a mixture of years and models, pictures will tell us of totaly wrong parts. Having seen the bike you must know the engine type, is it side valve, OHV or even a v twin, There could be as much as £10,000 seperating the value of a SV or v twin, In 1930 there were a 250, 350 & 500 OHV, 350 and 500 SV & the SV v -twins, also different versions, except for the little 250 OHV.
If you take on a bike of this age, with no knowledge of bikes of the age. You will need to learn a lot first.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 05 Oct 2012 12:07:47 AM
wilko

ajs seris r

Post by wilko »

Isn't the R7 an ohc 350cc model?
saltbox alf
Deceased

ajs seris r

Post by saltbox alf »

Is not the point about bike models /types to decide if you like it and are prepared to work on it and enjoy it and not "how much is it worth"
Rather can I afford to restore it and do I have the skill and time to do so.
The end result being a bike you like, be it a rare G90 or a cooking 250 lightweight?
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Rob Harknett

ajs seris r

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes there were also 1930 OHC models, maybe more than you think. a ? 250, 350 R7 and 500 R10 OHC . ? 250 I don't think they gave it a model number. Only a few prototypes were made, and raced, but never went into production due to production difficulties. Which may had been cash flow, as AJS were in trouble at the time. If the bike happens to be one of the 250 OHC modles, its very rare, one came up for auction not long ago, but did not meet the reserve price, which I think was £30K. There is a point about modles Alf, as the question asked, was, whats it's worth?Edited by - Rob Harknett on 06 Oct 2012 09:52:25 AM
saltbox alf
Deceased

ajs seris r

Post by saltbox alf »

I take your point Rob
It just seemed a little mercenary to me with no other details about the bike, however its a valid question and good luck if it is a rare un.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
okeyokey

ajs seris r

Post by okeyokey »

will get them for you cheers