Prewar AJS model

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
PGGuse

Prewar AJS model

Post by PGGuse »

Hi,
one of my friends owns an AJS motorcycle and doesn't know the exact model and year of manufacture. Is it 1929 M8, M9?
Photos of the bike and engine No. are on display at https://fotos.web.de/ui/external/gQBS9A ... 7sKhw36403
Frame No. M143067, and engine No. is matching

Can anyone help, if possible with a link of subject literature?

Thanks, Paul in Frankfurt
Rob Harknett

Re: Prewar AJS model

Post by Rob Harknett »

I answered in the e group. Probably M9 which is a 500 side valve engine. A pic showing both sides of the bike would had been better.
The number does not look to be the genuine stamped number, it does not appear to be in the correct possition. A beter picture to show where the number is stamped would help. Also theres no frame or gearbox number given. Those numbers would had been the same as the engine when the bike was new.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just noticed the frame number is given here. If the gearbox number does not match, thats because they break easy where the kick starter shaft goes through the gearbox casing. At the top of the casing where the shaft goes through you may see part of a number or just a letter M9 prehaps , the letter is the year code letter, number the model number, you will find this on various parts of the bike even inside wheels on dummy spindle. Numbers on top of each side of the crank case at the rear, are stamped when the cases are machined to match, so should be identical.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

There are photos on the German forum although not really what are needed to make a correct decision on exactly what the model is. By the look of it the bike has a sidevalve engine , it really needs a photo taken from both sides to make a correct decision.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There is some confusion about numbers. The Mills book suggest its an M9 sv. if you look at 1929 numbers.
If you look at 1930 numbers Mills book gives, you would say its number makes it an M8, some detective work is needed when you dont have all the info.
The picture seems to show an OHV engine, I think I can see a spark plug in the OHV engine possition.
A couple of guys have M8's with simular numbers. The e group have got their heads together and proved two heads ( or more in this case ) are better than one. I may had been misled by only checking 1929 numbers in something easy to lay my hands on. Further consideration and checking I believe almost confirmesthe bike as an M8, so tell us has it got an OHV engine?