1928 AJS K12 250cc information/parts required

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
bensalv

1928 AJS K12 250cc information/parts required

Post by bensalv »

Hello to everyone here and thankyou in advance for any help.

Ive recently acquired my grandfathers old 1928 AJS K12 250cc motorcycle and have set myself the task of restoring it to its former glory.

Its all in bits, but mostly complete and all seems to be in a respectable condition. I have 2 major querys really and thought this would be the best place to get advice.

- Is there anywhere I can get manuals, booklets, parts lists, literature etc on the bike as I want to familiarise myself with the bike and how it goes together

also

- I think that I am missing; what I think is the oil pump, that sits on the cover over the magneto drive chain. Is there a good source for parts? I realise these wont be of the shelf accessible but where would be the best place to look?

Thanks again for any help

Kind Regards

Ben
Duncan

Re: 1928 AJS K12 250cc information/parts required

Post by Duncan »

Hi Ben

Take a stroll through the "Archive" for information (and leave a tip if you find it useful).

http://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Owners_m ... e_them.pdf

There is also a link to the pre war e-group in the links area on the main club site.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Unless you are 100% sure all the bike is 1928 K12, best start at the beginning . e mail me on prewar@jampot.com
with frame engine and gearbox number, perhaps reg. no. if its the original number, also any pic's you may have. I will have all info on what ever parts you may have.
I can also help with literature and contact with other owners.
The K12 is well documented as it was first introduced in 1928, the model 12 changed yearly up until the outbreak of WW2
bensalv

Post by bensalv »

Thank you for the information, I shall have a good read on the train to work!

Rob I shall get the numbers over to you hopefully this weekend

Thanks again
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

bensalv wrote:Ive recently acquired my grandfathers old 1928 AJS K12 250cc motorcycle and have set myself the task of restoring it to its former glory.
Ben
We would all love to see photographs of the K12 as it is now and perhaps some updates as the restoration takes place ?
Sam
bensalv

Post by bensalv »

Hi Samuel,

Im keeping a little picture diary here:

I hope people can give their input as it will be very welcome

One particular point I like clarification on is whether the K12 came with a Bosch ZE1 magneto, as this is the one I was given

Cheers

Ben
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

should be Lucas KSA1, not unusual to find the wrong mag, if it works use it.
On the rear frame r/h side bottom rail you have a tab/ bracket facing inwards.
If you do not know what part fits on it, the answer is nothing. But it does have a use.
There is a tenplate that bolts on it to line up the rear wheel, the tenplate fitting the wheel rim shape.
Even if you managed to find one of these tenplates, it will probably be no good. The tenplate must be correct for the K12 & nothing bent or altered since 1928 when it left the factory. You will find many places with numbers stamped, even inside wheels etc. Ask if you want to know what they refer to when you find them. Like the matching numbers at the rear of the barrel on the top of each crank case half, which were stamped when the halves were matched.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

engine no. is on a plate riveted on the left crankcase below the barrel, same plate on the gearbox r/h outer casing, if the plate on the gearbox is missing, look to see if theres anything stamped on top of the casing at the rear, where the kickstater shaft passes through. Frame number is r/h side just below the saddle, at the end of the tube running under the tank.
bensalv

Post by bensalv »

Ok thanks Rob thats some great info, Ill collect all the numbers on Sat and email them over

Thanks again