PLEASE HELP. ajs model 12 1936

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
vintage honda

PLEASE HELP. ajs model 12 1936

Post by vintage honda »

HI,sent my gear change gate to local chromers, they have lost it. has any got one for sale or loan, so i can get one made.. curt..
Rob Harknett

Re: PLEASE HELP. ajs model 12 1936

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi Curt,
I am surprised your 1936/12 AJS has hand change, when my 35 onwards all have foot change. But they were slower updating the lowly mod 12 and side valve models. You could ask the prewar e group owners. Mail me at prewar@jampot.com if you are not a member. However all may not be lost, the gate could be found if they knew what they were looking for. so attached is a picture.
gearchange gate_.png
Given something to identify a part does work, I had a batch of speedo drive gears made for the 35/37 AJS, the hardeners lost them. When they received the replacements for hardening, they found the first lost batch. So I go double the number of gears ordered at a very good discount.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vintage honda

Post by vintage honda »

hi rob, just tryed to load a pic, i have on ebay a ajs catalogue, with it is a couple of pics of the tank. i dont want to sell the catalogue, its just so i could get a wanted add up. the pic you sent looks different to the one i need. curt
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The picture is from the 1935 AJS parts list Curt, the last AJS illustrated parts list untill the post war AJS parts list came along.
In what book is the picture you are refering to??
vintage honda

Post by vintage honda »

rob item no on ebay 360725595839, there is a picture of my tank, before i took the gate off. curt
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi Curt,
Your tank is like the 1935 one also the gate, it just looks a little different from the angle its draw.
I noticed you found the correct rubbers I got Jim Hunter to tool up for many years ago.
1936 AJS mod 12.jpg
There's the pic off e bay I've blown it up a bit , so the guys here can see what you need.
Your bike looks very original.
Your best bet of find another gate is still the prewar e group.
Have a look to see if you have the speedo drive gear in the gearbox, at the bottom facing forward is the opening
if you see something about 3/8" dia with a slot, pull it out for safe keeping, the other end just fits in a bush. Only the cable holds the gear in and they are almost impossible to find. I had 20 made but all sold.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vintage honda

Post by vintage honda »

cheers rob, will check out gearbox,curt.