Testing the Regulator

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
silverspanner

Testing the Regulator

Post by silverspanner »

Hello All,
New to the forum and to pre-war bikes so hoping for some help and advice here...info on pre-war Matchless bikes is not that easy to come by I find. Anyway, took the old Matchy on a 180 mile trip to Whitby at the weekend with other obsessed enthusiasts. Great trip and all went well except for boiling the 6v battery near Malton. Suspect this might be the regulator (or a short?) - not investigated yet. Any advice on how to test the regulator?
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Testing the Regulator

Post by saltbox alf »

Hello and welcome Steve, one of our members has a very good web site dealing with electrical aspects and his two G3 bikes and worth a look.Very interesting site and full of usefull info and links to find more stuff.

http://matchlessclueless.com/ :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Hi Steve,
Your bike is probably equiped with the older type regulator Lucas MCR1. The principles are the same as for the more recent MCR2. A service manual for MCR2 is available from Christian Gyde's website, archives.jampot.dk . Information for both MCR1 and MCR2 is given here for example:
http://classicrider.dk/dokuments/Servic ... tno804.pdf
Success,
Albert
silverspanner

Post by silverspanner »

That's great chaps thanks - greatly appreciated! Gives me something to get started with, and F.W.Neill is a bit limited on the subject. Bike is a '38 G4 so I am guessing the regulator is identical to a very early G3 in case I need any bits? (not had time to investigate yet).