1929 V Twin

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Racetek01

1929 V Twin

Post by Racetek01 »

Hi, I am a newbie here, hailing from Australia, and I am hoping someone on this forum can help me. I am in the process of restoring a 1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler which was fitted with an AJS V Twin side valve engine (engine number M2/50091). When I purchased the car the engine was out of the car and dismantled. Now that it is back together I have to install oil lines and I am not sure exactly how to plumb it. There is a Pilgrim pump attached to the front with 2 ports (inlet and outlet I assume) driven off a camshaft, there is a port on the top rear, between the cylinders, a port on the side of the timing case, below the number one cylinder with B stamped next to it, and whats look like a sump plug at the bottom below that.

There is a hand pump fitted in the dash with a sight glass, and an oil tank with 3 outlets on the bottom. Can anyone tell me how these are all connected together, or possibly provide a diagram.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
David
Rob Harknett

Re: 1929 V Twin

Post by Rob Harknett »

1929 lubricationb.jpg
The number suggest an early 1929 model 2 AJS ( M=1929 year code letter. ).
Note the diagram is for a 1929 single. Are you sure the hand pump and tank in the car was intended for an AJS engine.
Could they be for Matchless , JAP or some other engine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, David.
Why are you selling your engine on eBay? Have you given up on the restoration?
Or is someone else working a scam using your photo and eBay i.d.............?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-V-Twin-Mo ... 4617afa244
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Racetek01

Post by Racetek01 »

Rob,
Thanks for the quick reply. The diagram you sent me shows what I believe is a later oil pump. Mine only has 2 ports and an inspection window. It also has a knurled nut for reducing/increasing the oil flow. The tank was built for the Morgan installation, as was the hand pump. I believe these were part of the car when it was built about 40 years ago from a collection of parts so I cant be absolutely sure whether they were intended to be together. I can post some pictures íf it will help.

Spriddler,
Yes I have advertised the engine on Ebay. I have been offered an overhead cam JAP engine which I could put in the car but it is pretty expensive and I am weighing up the advantages of changing over. My engine will have to sell pretty well for me to make the change. I would of course like to keep both but I don't think Santa will be so benevolent this year.

Cheers
David
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Good on yer, David.
I have heard of scams where a rogue advertises an item on eBay ("selling for a friend" etc) which he doesn't have by using a photo and i.d. of an item previously sold on eBay by someone else, receives the money ("no Paypal please, bank cheque or draft.."etc) and of course has no item to send.
The only car I've ever really really lusted after is a Morgan with a V-twin engine. Utterly gorgeous
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2013.12.22_11h16m38s_001_.png
I did say the engine number was early 1929, sounds more like 1928 engine type, which would explain why you have a HAND pump. not sure if you can see the oiliness in the attached pic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racetek01

Post by Racetek01 »

Hi Rob,

Yes, that's my motor. Unfortunately I can't really make out where the lines go to. I am thinking that there would be a line from the tank to the hand pump and from the hand pump to the top of the case, and possibly to the side of the case as well, via a t-piece. The Pilgrim pump would pick up the oil from the sump and return it to the tank. Does that sound correct or is the system a total loss system with no tank return and the pump just circulates oil around the engine? Someone out there must know you would think.

Spiddler, thats a great looking machine', hope mine turns out as good as that.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2013.12.22_13h38m40s_002_a.jpg
1929 was flow and return . 1928 is total loss system. see attachment
Racetek01

Post by Racetek01 »

OK,so I have a total lost system. Hand pump sucks fuel from the tank and sends it under pressure to the engine. Is that the port at the top or the side?. Where are the pipes from and to the Pilgrim pump connected? and is the plug at the very bottom of the case just a sump plug for draining the oil?

Sorry for all these questions but I am very new to all this.

Cheers

David
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Just don't connect the pump to the fuel tank!!

Rob C