1929 V Twin Matchless

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
29VTwin

1929 V Twin Matchless

Post by 29VTwin »

Hi all, my first post here so I hope I get it right.

I have in my possession most of a 1929 V Twin Matchless and am trying to get information on it for restoration purposes.
Long story short, My father moved us to a house in the very early 70's and this old bike was in the bushes beside the house along with a 1934 AJS V Twin motor, it had sat there for many years before we got there so dad pulled it out and put it in the shed and over the following years it got pulled to pieces and spread out during several house moves till he finally bought a house with a decent shed, he has since passed away and now I own all the British bikes and parts he had stored away.

The Matchless V Twin has been an object of great interest to me and I have started to get it all in one place again getting ready for the restoration process which I hope to do correctly, but am really struggling due to having next to no literature or information on this particular bike to help me with sorting out the right parts for it.

I am 99% sure the following picture is the same bike model, due to the oil tank, SA gearbox and motor, forks and frame are identical to what I have here.

Photo credit to the Matchless London website.

Are there any parts lists or technical manuals available for this particular model of Matchless?
I have been searching the internet for any information on it but as yet have found not much so any help would be greatly appreciated.
clive

Re: 1929 V Twin Matchless

Post by clive »

jealous or what :mrgreen: Rob will be along with info soon I expect.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
29VTwin

Post by 29VTwin »

Hi Clive, thanks for your response! I'm very keen to get the right info on this because I really want to do the bike justice, My father had a love of old British bikes and tried so hard to build that love into me and after all these years I finally got it....thank god I actually listened to him when I was down in the shed with him :) some of it sunk in.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi Dean, I can help you, also put you in touch with other owners your way.
This could take a few e mails and attachments etc. It would be easier to do this by direct contact.
Drop me an e mail to prewar@jampot.com ask any questions. Rob Harknett club prewar officer.
29VTwin

Post by 29VTwin »

Thank you for the welcome and also the help so far!. Rob I will certainly be emailing you shortly, and would like to thank you right now for any help you may give me :)

Spriddler you have hit the nail on the head so to speak I recognise a lot of the parts listed in that PDF file and am very happy to be able reference it, it will help me so much!
29VTwin

Post by 29VTwin »

Well progress is going to be slow as I have to get the shed into order before getting stuck into it, but it's coming along nicely.
I'm glad to say I have found some more bit's including the oil tank wheels and forks, more to be dug out over the coming weeks, fun times ahead, I'll try to get it all in one place get a photo to add to this post.
I am beginning to get addicted! Just to be clear I will not be getting this done to sell it on; it's more of a build for my father who absolutely loved old British bikes and as such means alot to me and my mum.
silverspanner

Post by silverspanner »

Good luck with the project - looking forward to the photos.
29VTwin

Post by 29VTwin »

OK so I got into the shed and got a quick snap of the twin, it's internals are out at the moment and it needs a good scrub up but the pic gives an idea of what it is.
I need to find a Magdyno for it I'm pretty sure, I do have a Splitdorf 50 degree magneto but I'm thinking it is not the right one, pretty sure my father obtained it for this bike but he didn't get the right thing.

rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

LOOK`s Good to me !
Hope we can help you .
I am a Single`s man my self ,but Good luck with your Future searching .
SANTA of the Fenrunner`s .
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Motorcycle`s and Scooter`s .
Insured with PETER JAMES .
r w webb