AJS 350 Big Port Frame Number

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
AJay

AJS 350 Big Port Frame Number

Post by AJay »

Hello,
I am a new member to the club as me and my wife have just inherited my Father-in-Laws Vintage AJS 350 Big Port. It has not run for a whole but we intend to get it on the road again.

We have noticed that the log book has the wrong frame number on it. I have removed a bit of the paint on the frame to reveal the true number, which looks like H100840 although the last digit is very difficult to read assuming it is a digit and not a surface mark. Does this look correct for a 1927 model of this bike?

For a bike of this age, what should the actual engine number be as I am also trying to see if we have the original engine in it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Regards
Andy
alanjennings

Re: AJS 350 Big Port Frame Number

Post by alanjennings »

Robb Harknett is the man to contact on this one.I do have some numbers if you get really stuck!
Alan [Morini] Jennings
Rob Harknett

Re: AJS 350 Big Port Frame Number

Post by Rob Harknett »

The bike would had started life with identical frame, engine and gearbox numbers. The gearbox end plate have a brass plate with the number, same type of plate on the left crank case just below the barrel. It is unlikely the bike has survived intact. matching numbers stamped at the top/back of each crank case, are c/case matching numbers. You may see rivet holes if plates have fell off. Look at the casting lug/top back of the gear box the kick shaft passes through, what is stamped ?
Big Port is just a nick name Wolverhampton AJS acquired, AJS only actually added " Big Port " to the model number in 1931.