1927 Bigport brake shoes

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Moof

1927 Bigport brake shoes

Post by Moof »

Just getting the machine ready for Banbury today and checked the rear brake shoes. Found that one of the shoes has broken in half!! Lucky i checked but now in a panic as no idea where to get a new set. Any help would be most welcome and may enable me to make the Banbury run.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1927 Bigport brake shoes

Post by Rob Harknett »

Can't help much, what model is the bike ? assuming it has the correct wheel. Big Port is just a nickname 20's AJS acquired. AJS did not give the name Big Port to a model until 1931. The model then got a B after the year code letter S followed by the model number, e.g. SB6 ( 350 OHV ) SB8 ( 500 OHV ) In 1934 an AJS revised parts list was issued which contained a list of AJS of Wolverhampton parts stocked by Matchless. These parts were probably all the spares that were available at that time Matchless took over AJS. Brake linings for pre 1932 bikes were out of stock then. I think your best bet would be to measure the shoe & drum size, then see if any of the brake lining stockist can match then. I could ask the prewar owners where they get their linings from.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

moof wrote: one of the brake shoes has broken in half
Rob Harknett wrote:measure the shoe & drum size, then see if any of the brake lining stockist can match them

:? Broken brake shoe or brake lining? :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Moof

Post by Moof »

It's the shoe broken not the lining. If only the lining i'd not be to concerned as i could likely get relined quickly. Being the shoe that's broken i need a new set of shoes that may be more challenging.
The machine is a 1927 K6 - engine number: H81926 - Frame no:81926
Shoe dimensions
Drum diameter: 6.5"
Shoe diameter: 6 3/8"
Shoe (metal only component not inc lining): 6"
Shoe thickness: 7/8"
Hopefully the image upload works
rear shoes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

My H4 is fitted with Japanese shoes , fitted by previous owner
They required the width reducing . a bit of a long shot but try a few dealers
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have put the question of brake shoe availability to the 1920's AJS owners.
Have you made a typing error with the machine details ?
Several details are incorrect.
Your engine and frame numbers match , which they did when the bike was new like wise the gear number.
The bike is fortunate to have survived with matching numbers.
I do need to discover just what year and model machine you have. You say 1927 K6 " K " is the year code letter for 1928.
So the bike cannot be a 1927 K6. Note the number you gave has a H prefix. "H" is the year code letter for 1927.
The number you gave, 81926. confirms the machine is a 1927 model H 5 350cc side valve.
I trust the numbers are gen, and you do in fact have a 1927 350 SV mod H5.
K6 is a 1928 350 OHV which would have a totally different 6 digit number starting from 101***.
Would you like to drop me an e mail to Rob Harknett on prewar@jampot.com as it will be easier to communicate by email, in particular if I need to send attachments, the size of which is limited here on the forum.
It may also be to your advantage to join our club. It does appear you do need correct info/literature for your bike.
As the info you gave is a mixture of years and model, which first needs to be confirmed.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Note the info given before my email re 1927 H4 brake shoes. These may well be the answer to your problem as the H4 is just a de lux version of the H5.
Greggie-e

Post by Greggie-e »

Hi,
I've just purchased a 1926 AJS 350 and discovered that it only has one rear brake shoe in it.
Not very effectual....

Did you solve this issue?
If so how?
I may need to follow suit.

cheers,
Greg