New From Australia

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Rob Harknett

Re: New From Australia

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
see page 107 onwards. for ignition timing and engine cog positions. Ignition timing is not like post war machines.
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Thanks Rob. Yes I'm well aware of how to set both the valve/engine timing and the mag/ignition timing.
Obviously my attempts to describe my problem is not clear. (Its hard to put in words!)
I Thank everybody for their help. I will keep tinkering and let you know the outcome.

Thanks and regards
Simon
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Simon this thread has moved on nicely. Reading through the latest stuff I realise you have a 1929 250 SV, I have the 1928 version. I have quite a lot of paperwork on my bike and will look it out. Unfortunately we have been having some building work done and much is in boxes so it may take a while. The problem with your mag drive may be that it's not the original equipment.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Hi Clive
Glad to see someone else with one of these. It would be good to share some info and pics. No rush as I understand about the the building, having just put in a new ceiling.
After measuring the bore mine is actually a 350cc. Being a "bitza" it wouldn't surprise me in the least that there is a mishmash of parts in the engine as well!
Regards Simon
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Just a thought Simon, any thoughts on what finish you will give the bike, engine 1929 or frame 1930. I think it has to be 1929. As it has a 29 350 SV engine? ( unconfirmed by numbers.) but SV it is. The frame seems to be 1930 K12, but the K12 then had an OHV engine. I have a soft spot for 1929 as that was the first year of the rounded type tank and the only year AJS had the Magenta colour tank panel. This complete panel is available as a transfer in ( L & R side pair ) in 2 sizes, one up to 350cc tanks, two 500 and over tanks. By complete if you are not aware means, it has the tank lining, magenta colour panel and AJS logo. Makes an easy job of the tank, as it only needs to be painted all black and the transfers applied.
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Hi Rob, yes have to agree that 1929 would be best to aim for.
To be honest I haven't given it a great deal of thought at the moment as I'm concentrating on trying to get it to run. I am making progress though and will post an update soon.
Regards Simon
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Update for anyone that's interested.
Bit the bullet and pressed the cam and timing cog off the shaft. Used heat and a 50 tonne press!
Both the cam and cog had spun on the shaft in varying degrees meaning even with the valve timing marks lined up the exhaust cam was in the wrong position.
Finally found a woodruff key to suit (there was none fitted) cleaned it all up and pressed back together in correct orientation.
Timed magneto and put the bike back together.
AND IT STARTED!!!!! well for about 30 seconds and using starter fluid. Now just have to identify carby and get that sorted.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Bravo! what a relief and a pleasure :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS