1929 ajs clutch

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
SimonJ

1929 ajs clutch

Post by SimonJ »

Hi.
My gearbox is an ajs 1929 fitted to a 350 side valve.
The clutch is slipping. The corks are in good nick but stick out slightly less than 1/8 inch so have ordered some new corks.
My question is do the fixed and sliding clutch plates/steels that the cork clutch plate acts upon supposed to have any sort of textured finish to them? Mine are shiny smooth.
Thanks and regards
Simon
Rob Harknett

Re: 1929 ajs clutch

Post by Rob Harknett »

Shinny and smooth because the clutch has been slipping, clean them with petrol. There must be no oil on then corks, make sure the plates do not foul when opening and closing. Perhaps the clutch is adjusted so it operates a little too lightly. So the clutch will slip a little when you change gear. Its all in the 1929 Pitmans manual workshop manual
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Thanks Rob.
Yes had the clutch set up re pitmans book.
It has started slipping when using the kickstarter, even with the cable removed ie clutch pushrod free. Everything else seems to be working freely and as it should.
Will wait for my corks to arrive and clean the steel plates as advised.
Noticed in the 1929 parts list that it shows no corks in the centre ring of holes. Mine does have corks in all holes so not sure that is correct?
Regards Simon
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would still clean the plates that's all plates in particular the cork plates. Setting up by the book dose not always work, this could result in the set up too light and the clutch will slip. You may find your spare corks will never be needed. I have always managed to bring a clutch back to life by cleaning the plates/corks. I only ever brought one new clutch. During restoration oil sumped in the chain case, the clutch plates all stuck together, I had to buy another new set of plates.