1926 AJS 350 big port?

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Greggie-e

1926 AJS 350 big port?

Post by Greggie-e »

Hey people,
Just a quick note to introduce myself.
Greg - Perth Western Australia
I have an interest in all things old and mechanical.
this latest purchase is by far the oldest. Most of my bikes sit in the 60's and 70's range.

I have just purchased this bike and am pretty sure it's an AJS 350.
the engine number is 5972
Chassis number is 59152

It's obviously missing quite a few pieces and the handlebars look wrong.

The most immediate item that I am going to need is a rear brake shoe.
Does anyone know of a supplier or an alternate modern fix?

Any advice is welcome at this stage!
Cheers,
Greg
Greggie-e

Re: 1926 AJS 350 big port?

Post by Greggie-e »

that picture did turn out the way I wanted, try this one
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Before looking for parts Greg you need to discover what you have got. Big port is just a nick name that would cover at least 6 different models for any given year. When the bike was new, frame , engine and gearbox numbers all matched. The bike looks like what the frame number suggests, a 1926 model 5 , referred to as G5, G being the year code letter for 1926. The G5 was a 350 SV. Your bike looks like it is fitted with an OHV engine or just OHV top end. What 5 digit number has the bike got on the left hand crank case just below the barrel. 5972 would be circa 1915 v twin. Now what year would the wheels be you want brake linings for? Perhaps our club Dating officer could confirm the frame engine and gearbox year/model numbers. They would be 5 digit numbers. If the engine has been wrongly re-stamped, that will need dating by sight of the complete engine.
Greggie-e

Post by Greggie-e »

OK I have taken a bit of steal wool to the engine and frame numbers.
this is what I have
Gearbox G59723

Frame G59152
the numbers seem quite close together, but obviously not matching.

So I think I have a 1926 G5 with the wrong top end...
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

All numbers matched when new, you do have non matching G5 bits with an OHV top end. At least the parts survived in one complete machine. Un like many post war machines, that have a mixture of years and models.
A post war owner would think he has a totally original bike. Then factory records could prove, frame engine and gearbox all came from different years, models, bikes and the AJS was originally a Matchless.
Greggie-e

Post by Greggie-e »

At least I now know what I have!
A very old bitsa, mostly G5...

probably not a bad bike to start my descent into veteran machines.
I wont feel so bad when I have to fit 1927 brakes to a 1926 hub if I know it is already a mix of parts.

I'll save my exact restoration for my second or third build.
:)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You can not really call the bike a Bitsa because it does not still have all the parts it had when new. Its not a Bitsa, The parts are from one year only and mainly for just one model. Not only that, most of the parts are identical to models 3,4,5 & 6. for the one year. Just the number confirms what model the parts ended up on. Parts could had been picked up and assembled to make any of the 4 models ( except mod 6 which needed an OHV engine ) As your bike now has an OHV engine you are justified to call it a G6. There's a hell of a lot of post war bikes, using a frame that could had started life as a 350 or 500 single AJS or Matchless. Quite a few owners could claim their 350 Matchless as 100 % totally original, unless the frame number is checked against factory records, which could prove it was a 500 AJS. I have what appears to be a totally original 1955 350 Matchless, until you spot the frame has the lug on the down tube for a twin engine. It also has a 1958 reg. no.
Greggie-e

Post by Greggie-e »

Excellent thanks Rob!