Gearbox AJS 33b6 (350er)

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Maria+Franz

Gearbox AJS 33b6 (350er)

Post by Maria+Franz »

Hi ... we are searching for nearly 2 years :cry: for parts for a sturmey archer gearbox lightweight ... for our AJS 350er 1933 B6 .... hope somebody can give us hints .. where to find some parts or a complete gearbox ....

greets Maria u Franz from Austria :beer:

here are some Pictures of our bike: http://www.classic-motorcycle.com/AJS-M ... -ohv-a-11/
Rob Harknett

Re: Gearbox AJS 33b6 (350er)

Post by Rob Harknett »

1933 B6 is quite a rare machine, made during the world recession years. To complicate the finding of a gearbox is the fact, the gearbox was of " AJS design " made by Sturmey Archer for AJS, not a standard SA model. Perhaps Plumstead were still using up old stock AJS parts. 1933 was the first full model year for Plumstead AJS. Perhaps a gearbox designed for AJS from 1932 or 1931 may fit. To discover more about this you need to contact other owners of a machine of this era. Are you a member of the prewar e group? If not, I am sure this would be the group that may be able to help, if only to advise you what gearbox to look for. Send me an e mail to prewar@jampot.com I will then activate the group website to send you an invite to join the group ( if you are not a member ) it will be easier to join receiving an invite from me to join, as you will become already approved by myself.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Maria and Franz.
I know nothing about pre-war bikes but I do know of a company in Austria who say they have vintage AJS and Sturmey Archer spares which may be able to advise you even if they can't supply.
I would imagine that you have already asked them, but if not their website is:

http://www.vintage-motorcycle.com/index ... =4&pid=362

(Later......Out of curiosity I've just had a look at their long list of used AJS/Matchless spares and their prices are rather high. For example they list a used oil pump plunger at 100 Euros when you can buy a new one from this Club's Spares service for £51 (which is nearly half their price for a used one), although I realise that post-war par parts are of no use to you).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Looks like they only have Burman. You have to remember you are looking for an AJS designed gearbox made by SA. It would take some knowledge to discover, if an UNNAMED gearbox is in fact an AJS designed SA.
There was similar odd gearbox at Club HQ for ages. No one knew what it was. It had no name but looked like a Norton dolls head gearbox. The owner eventually told me to take, he had it for years as a shed door stop, no one ever knew what it was. Took me a while but I eventual discovered fitted a 1930's NSU. In fact the chap that designed it worked for Norton then went to NSU. It fitted on a very rare 39 I believe NSU. Having ID'd it I put it on e bay. A couple of guys must had been looking for it for years. It sold for a very large sum. Which I gave to the surprised person that had kicked it about his shed for years.
Maria+Franz

Post by Maria+Franz »

...Thanks for your answers ....

...Mark from British only said to us ... that he has never seen this Kind of sturmey archer bevor ;)

..... yes .... please put us in the prewar Group .... and thanks for your informations :beer: