1938 Silver Streak

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
stuart_munroe

1938 Silver Streak

Post by stuart_munroe »

I am about to buy a Silver Streak, are parts and workshop manuals available for them? Also what is the spares situation like and finally any links to reviews or history about them?
Thanks
Stuart
Rob Harknett

Re: 1938 Silver Streak

Post by Rob Harknett »

First step is to confirm the bike is a Silver Streak. All too often a mid/late 30's AJS bike is referred to as a Silver Streak, but turns out not to be. I was once riding my 1936 AJS 250 mod 22 round Brands hatch, I heard a quite famous Motor Cycle commentator say " there goes a little AJS Silver Streak " even though my bike was listed as 1936 model 22 and my number clearly shown on the bike.
Literature would be available. Spares would need to be found S/H or made. Except for a few parts that were still used on post war machines.
stuart_munroe

Post by stuart_munroe »

Thanks Rob I'm pretty confident it's the real deal. It is immaculate but does your comment about the problem with spares is also true of engine parts? The vendor thought all but gearbox parts would be available.
Thanks Stuart
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The machine numbers will confirm the model. If you think the price may be inflated because the bike is a Silver Streak you may want to check just what the bike is with the clubs dating officer. You have not stated if the bike is 250, 350 or 500, Very few engine parts were continued post war, in particular the 250. You have not stated the year, that will also count. Parts that may be available are the ever decreasing old stock. Most repo parts being for circa 1953 onwards. The few parts that continued post war would only be up to about 1947. Easy to get parts will only be common standard nuts, bolts etc. The Silver streak was really two years only 1938 & 1939 ( a few 1940 ) There were many changes between 1938 & 39/40 models.
stuart_munroe

Post by stuart_munroe »

It's a 1938 - 350cc
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

At the first Danish International Jampot rally I went to at Rodvig, a Danish member rode in on a completely original, unrestored 500cc Silver Streak. I've probabely got some pictures of it somewhere. It was a superb machine.
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

stuart_munroe wrote:It's a 1938 - 350cc
Model???? should be 38/26 ***SS
38 AJS.jpg
Many large easy to spot parts of this year/model were 1938 only
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Stuart these links are to a site where you can leave a voluntary contribution:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Owners_m ... n_Book.pdf

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf

What parts do you think you might need?
stuart_munroe

Post by stuart_munroe »

Wow Duncan - those links are excellent, thank you. The bike is immaculate and runs very well. However I am concerned about keeping it that way. Obviously tinware is an issue with any old bike but I am concerned about engine/gearbox parts. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment or skills to fabricate parts.
Stuart
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Stuart

If it is all together and runs, are you worrying unnecessarily?

The yahoo group will be a good source of information: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/wd- ... hless/info

As well as the usual post war vendors for all things AMC, Draganfly are a good source for Burman parts, parts are still out there you will need to research what you need, attend jumbles and make contacts as with any old bike. When you own one you will be approached by other owners and make contacts and often be offered the chance to join in commissioning the manufacture of a small batch parts that a trader would find uneconomic, it can be a bit of an organic process.

As Rob says you will pay a premium for an SS, make sure it is genuine.