Fuel tank refurbishment details

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
sbrock

Fuel tank refurbishment details

Post by sbrock »

1940 500 AJS. Hi all the tank on the bike is black in a previous post with pictures Rob informed me that this was not correct so I assume it needs to be chrome / paint. Where do I get the info in regards to chrome, paint and transfer locations.
Cheers
Rob Harknett

Re: Fuel tank refurbishment details

Post by Rob Harknett »

First check the model of your bike against the info on the 1940 sales leaflet. Best to be sure the info I gave is correct for your bike and you are satisfied you are doing the right thing. I do not think you will then find the info you seek listed for 1940 AJS. Compare pictures in the sales cat. with info found here http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tan ... transfers/ for early 1950's paint/chrome tank details, which should be very similar to 1940's tanks. There is always the possibility your bike may had been supplied with an all black tank. I have a 38 AJS that had an all black tank instead of black/chrome, it still has its original finish. In 1940 I do not think they would had been too fussy what stock tanks they used to complete machines. Another decision/option you may want to consider.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.04.27_11h43m31s_001_.png
One of mine, 1938
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbrock

Post by sbrock »

Thanks rob, agree with your comments. I do think it would look better with the chrome as all is black including the side car. I'll have a bit of a search around before I decide
Thanks