Front Suspension on 1938 M26

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
upperstoker

Front Suspension on 1938 M26

Post by upperstoker »

Hi,

I have an issue with the top cross bar of the girder forks resting on the centre spring. When riding over uneven ground this causes the bar to move off the spring and then rest back making a knocking sound.

Clearly the set up is not right, can anyone guide me in the right directin to make the necessary adjustments please? I have attacted some images.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: Front Suspension on 1938 M26

Post by Rob Harknett »

Can't see much of the forks, I can just about see they are not 1938 AJS forks.
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.05.04_20h48m31s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Alan

I have just climbed to the back of my shed to get to my 1937 26M project, the spring is very close to the cross bar, I can just force a piece of card between them, looking at it the bar appears to be mostly aligned with a gap in the spring, is it possible to rotate yours?

I have not dismantled the forks but wondered if the top and bottom links are a different length and if it is possible to switch them around?

Keep us updated how you get on I have a feeling I may need to know what to look out for when I do mine.
DSCF1798.JPG
DSCF1799.JPG
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Alan your 37 project has 38 forks. Note the two speedo mounting points for the speedo T bracket, as seen on my 38/26 forks . Up to 1937, no fitting points for a speedo bracket. 1938 only forks have the 2 fitting points, 1939 - 1940 has the cup casting the speedo drops into. Bikes registered after July 1937 require a speedo. I knew that when I brought my 1937/26 back in 1956, age 16. The bike never had a speedo. The seller told me it did not need one. It was not long before police stopped me and gave my bike a check over. I was told I would be nicked for no speedo. I quoted the law to the policeman. He followed me home to inspect my log book registration date. Of cause, he did not believe what I told him was true. I never did receive the summons for not having a speedo. Few weeks later the same policeman stopped me again for no red rear lamp. The lens had broken off. He reached in his pocket, for his book to book me???? no, he pulled out a red one penny stamp and stuck it on my rear lamp bulb. Told me to get the lamp fixed with a new red lens.
Just noticed your frame seems to have the 1938 front tank fitting, my 37/26 just has the square shaped lug with two bolt holes, no bar welded across it.

For the bike in question. With the bike on the ground, do the links lay horizontal or point downwards? Count the number of coils on the spring. maybe it is too long. Don't worry too much about the forks not being 1938. What you have should do the job.
upperstoker

Post by upperstoker »

Thanks for responces. The bike was in fact first registered in 07/1937, sorry for my mistake. This does not mean the forks are the original but the bike generally is untapered with so there is a good bet that they are the original.

I have attached a further image which shows the side linking bars and how low (pointing down) they are to the front of the bike.

The spring has fixed locations top and bottom and cannot be turned. The top and bottom links look to be the same length but I will check more fully in the morning.

A shorter spring would I suspect help so would there be any information as to the correct length of spring for this 37/26? What actually stops the forks dropping? In my case it is the spring at the momment but what should it be?
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Rob, the project is mine not Alan's. Registered 11th August 1937 so I guess it needed the speedo brackets ;) (I also guess they could have been changed :o )
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1, The bike in question. Well the forks and frame looked 37 to me, which was confirmed via an error in the date of 1938. I did see in the profile a 37 was owned, so thought this was another bike.
2, As far as I know they did not start fitting forks with facilities to fit a speed until 1938. 1937 bikes had no facilities to fit a speedo. If you think about it. the registration date does not mean much. A 37 mod bike was built. If it sold in June it would not need a speedo, if it sold in August it did. So it would have had to have bracket pt. no. SH/B which was available as an EXTRA in 1937. This is a different bracket to that for 1938, pt. no. 25512 plus bolts 2 off to fit bracket to forks. All confirmed in the parts lists. Forks could had been changed at some to 38 type. I bent my old 37 /26 forks back in 1956, I got 1939 ex WD forks with the cup casting for a speedo, cost £1.10 shillings. Still got some of that bike, which I buried in 1957 in mothers garden. She dug it up for me in the 1980's. Frame was really rusted. BUT, had a member visit me from Australia last month who wanted to take the back half home with him.
upperstoker

Post by upperstoker »

Hi,

The top and bottom links are the same so not much joy there.

The spring has 16 turns and Duncan's looks to be the same so would any one know if this correct? Is there any 37-38/M26 owners out there that could give me a clue?

I am still not sure as to what actually stops the forks dropping such that the cross bar does not hit the spring?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The forks will hang down with no weight on them. ( teles do the same ) Looking at the front of the spring I count 15 coils plus the small coil at the top, as seen in the pic posted by Duncan. His spring and forks look identical to my 38/26. Links are the same length top and bottom. NOTE, as you put weight on the bike, the links rise up, only when they are dead horizontal, will they be in the furthest position forward, in this position the cross bar will not foul the spring.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Your spring does look a bit stretched, how long is it ? Mine measures 7 1/2"