Funny what you come across

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Triumph-Legend

Funny what you come across

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Today, chatting with a chap with lots of old bits and pieces. He had an engine that he was not sure of its make or model.

I asked him to let me have the engine number. This is 36/26 2790. It is a single port head.
The motor is complete except for the mag removed and the chain cover missing. Other than this, it seems to be in quite decent condition externally.
Rob Harknett

Re: Funny what you come across

Post by Rob Harknett »

1936 AJS model 26 350 twin port, if the engine is all correct. Will need a pic to confirm.
Triumph-Legend

Post by Triumph-Legend »

Rob Harknett wrote:1936 AJS model 26 350 twin port, if the engine is all correct. Will need a pic to confirm.
Rob, The head has a single exhaust port. I thought there were both single and twin port variants of this motor. I'll try to find out if the owner has any plans for this motor. The numbers are as stamped on the crank case, 36/26 2790. If I get along there again I'll take a camera with me.

It is always interesting when bits like this turn up. Especially if they become available to somebody that can put them to good use. I have been very fortunate with some of the bits needed for my bikes and in turn have passed on bits that I'm not using to help other people along.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Twin ports do turn up with single port heads. Perhaps a customer preferred a single port, if so he would get his wishes.
For just £1 there was the option of polished port heads for OHV models.. ( tuned heads ) Perhaps the customer wanted a tuned single port.