magneto rebuild

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
colin dorchester

magneto rebuild

Post by colin dorchester »

Good Morning to you , I am a new member and in need of some and pointers , I live in dorchester dorset so any one in that area may let me pick their brains ,
my list if any one can help
bike ajs 1927 350 ohv flat tank

1) kick start quadrant can the teeth be re welded and shaped back , the shaft looks welded to the gear itself , or does any one remanufacture these
2) had a binks carb onnow in bits from the owner before , and a new carb has been fitted but modern , what amal carb will fit and does any one have one
3) gear box gear change shaft has loads of play , not striped yet but does any one have a diagram ? or can help in any way
4) MAG , BIKE RUNS BUT DOES NOT RETARD OR ADAVANCE , WHO IN the clubs mind would be best to send this too , I have seen a few online but word a mouth is always a good thing

if I get stuck does any one still fettle with these in dorset ???? / hampshire

many thanks and any help would be much appreciated
petert120r

Re: magneto rebuild

Post by petert120r »

Paul Lydford at APL Magnetos (01747 852136) may be able to help. He's quite near you (Shaftesbury)
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

I've had great service from Paul but that was with post-war Lucas magnetos and dynamos. I'm not sure if he works on pre-war stuff but he is very helpful so it would be worth giving him a call. I'm quite near you but not sure if I'd be much help with such an old bike. The local VMCC branch meet quite near to Dorchester and someone there might be a better source of help.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Personally I've been happy with Tony Cooper on both dynamo and SR1 mag.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Why not get the correct Binks carb sorted, why look an incorrect carb. Amal carbs were not used until 1929.
I think the first thing to do is research your bike and discover exactly what you have got. If the mag does not have A/R facilities, its the wrong mag. Or are you saying AR is stuck and wont move. The kick starters break teeth, starting with the first and so on. It will have to be repaired or make a new one.
colin dorchester

Post by colin dorchester »

Thanks for the reply guys ,
Rob it looks like most of the binks parts are present , do you know where to buy parts for one ,
thanks col