1939 MODEL 26 TWIN PORT

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
Blackcat

1939 MODEL 26 TWIN PORT

Post by Blackcat »

Hi, I was looking at maybe buying a 1939/26 but can't find info on the forum regarding the frame number, it is X1759, (engine 8453) and wondered if this is a genuine 39 number for this bike. Any help appreciated, Thanks, Graham
I dunno man - I only just got here meself!
Rob Harknett

Re: 1939 MODEL 26 TWIN PORT

Post by Rob Harknett »

Could be gen. AJS but only factory records, which are considered lost could confirm this. A picture would help us to se if the bike is anything like an original 1939 model 26 350 c.c. AJS.
Blackcat

Post by Blackcat »

Thanks Rob.
Here are some pictures, is it worth the £3000 asking price?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.12.01_18h20m43s_001_.png
Survived quite well. As you can see some bits missing, mudguards & finish not quite right. Looks like the headlamp has domed glass and of cause domed glass rim to match. Could even be 7" instead of 8" Cannot see the top end is correct for 1939. Correct rocker box will have removable chrome rocker caps. They are the same cap that holds the oil filter in on the oil tank. Note the rear guard is wrong and the Y stay not in the correct position. See on the pic how the tool box fits. Note also the AJS tool box is hinged at the bottom and has a central knob. Most common tool box you may find will be Matchless with the knob in the top left corner. Also hinged on the right.. Other than that, from what I can see, looks OK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Well I'll stick my neck out and say yes, well worth it! It's missing a few bits. Inspection light, toolbox, correct exhaust clamps. The rear mudguard stays are wrong. Should have a lifting handle and stay combined and the toolbox fits in the 'V' between them. Tank should be chromed. Looks a really good unrestored bike. I'm sure Rob will add his thoughts about it. The tool boxes are very hard to find. I have wooden patterns if you want to get one made.
Cheers Dave.
Blackcat

Post by Blackcat »

Thanks Guys. Pre-war bikes are a bit of a grey area for me, but from what you have said, it maybe worth taking a gamble, you have to get these bikes back on the road and used for club runs, instead of rusting in someones shed, as this bike has been. Regards, Graham.
PS some more pictures I was sent.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It would not take much to get it looking about right & no need to repaint everything. The rear guard looks awkward. Needs another guard that goes further down at the rear, so the number plate can sit vertical. The stays need changing or adapting, so a tool box could be fitted as seen on the Sales cat. picture. Note this will also give the guard better support for pillion passenger. ( seat fitted between the Y ) Headlamp looks like it is 7" with sealed beam reflector for a better light. Change it or leave it. The horn is wrong. Has it got the special bracket clamped on the down tube, that carries the oil tank and battery carrier. I think I can se this very rare cast iron horn bracket. I have a pattern for the Ex pipe 3 circular cooling fin clamps. Not easy to get cast , they seem to crack when tightened. I got 20 pairs machined from solid, all sold now. They were not fitted to the cheaper coil ignition models. Pipes stay on the spigots OK. Much like post war bike ex pips push in the head, held in place by the systems fittings. If you get the bike you no need spend a fortune getting it up and running. Its all I did for my little 250 1936 mod 22. It rattled and smoked, 30 years later it still rattles and smokes. No mechanical work done on the gearbox and engine at all. Except tighten rocker axel nuts a few times.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Is that a weld repair to the left crank case?

Regards Mick
Blackcat

Post by Blackcat »

It looks like it, wonder how that happened.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I don't think it would prevent me purchasing what looks to me to be a bike with potential, however I would seek more info about what looks to be a repair, is it weld or epoxy / does it leak / when was it carried out, by who and why?

Regards Mick