1932 AJS 350

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
p6dave

1932 AJS 350

Post by p6dave »

Good Morning Gentlemen!

Having retired to rural France in 2015, I find myself in a position to be able to afford more than one motor cycle.

I am considering buying an AJS/Matchless in order to participate in the Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride in Bordeaux. Otherwise I would only potter about locally on it. I have a Sprint ST for distance work. I am quite familiar with British Motorcycles of the Fifties and Sixties having owned a Norton Dominator for may years when I was younger, and in the Seventies, I had a friend who rebuilt a number of AMC motorcyces.

However, have seen this on a French website. https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1158643558.htm?ca=12_s.

It's certainly cheap, Post War G3s sell for over 3000€, and according to the advertiser it runs like a watch.

Three questions:

1. Which model is it?
2. Are spares available?
3. Where can I get a new exhaust for this machine?

Safe Riding

p6dave
clive

Re: 1932 AJS 350

Post by clive »

I think it is a G3 looks mostly complete except speedo is missing (£250 plus in the UK) although the drive box for it is on the front wheel. Rob H will know more. My immediate thought is that if this is not an auction site it's too cheap, buyer beware. Spares for engine and gearbox fairly easy to find as they continued into the post war period.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
p6dave

Post by p6dave »

Believe it or not, although there is the equivalent of an MoT for cars in France, the "Controlle Technique" which lasts for two years, bikes do not have to pass an annual roadworthiness test, so I may get away with having no speedo!

Besides with those girder forks and no rear suspension, I doubt that I'll be riding it that fast.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

The seller says it's a 'sortie grange' (barn find) and doesn't mention having the Carte Grise for it.
It does seem to be undervalued.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Could be a 1938/9 AJS. I think it's an AJS tank with Matchless knee rubbers and (probabely ) G3 gearbox and front hub. The gearbox is a good mod because it give you a bigger chain and sprocket size and much better box. What's stamped on the crankcase?
Looks a bargain?
Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

There is a mixture of parts here of different years. Don't forget circa 39 / 40 / WD, saw the end of Matchless type frames and engines in favour of AJS. The G3WO was more or less an AJS with the mag behind the engine. There could be a mixture of 38 & postwar parts, speedo drive in front wheel was introduced 1938. I cannot see all the top end of the engine, to say if its 39/40 AJS or post war AJS. You could put a made in India speedo on it. Not sure if it would actually work though. Just to sum up. It does have all the bits to make an old looking girder forked bike. It does not need the instrument panel prewar tank. Its worth more than later tank that would be OK for this bike. So it could be sold or swapped with a little profit, to a happy prewar bike owner that desperately needs than panel tank. If the bike is considered cheap. Go for it if you want a cheap old girder forked bike. Don't worry about the mixture of parts.
What are the frame and engine numbers. You could e mail me on prewar@jampot.com
This is about the earliest year you could perhaps find the bike may be. Or could be made to resemble, if you wanted to spend more time and money, looking for parts that are very difficult to find.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.07.08_12h26m06s_001_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have just noticed what appears to be a blanked off left hand exhaust port making the engine a twin port model. This will prove the engine top end to be 1939 or 1940. So that engine number may prove interesting.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.07.08_12h37m36s_003_.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes, I noticed that the left hand zorst system was missing and the port was blanked off and a cork (?) was used as the petrol tank cap.
I know little about pre-war bikes but I'd have thought that with a bit of luck the tank with instrument panel, or even just the instrument panel (with one instrument apparently missing) would fetch close to the entire asking price for the whole bike if advertised on say, eBay.
If I was nearer I'd be very tempted.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sprid, if the bike is to be left as is, it does not need that tank and instrument panel. As I did suggest. There are quite a few prewar bikes that have had to use a headlamp with switch and amp. meter, simply because the correct tank and panel is almost unobtainable. Replacing the 7" headlamp with switch etc is quite easy as there are 8" plain head lamps being reproduced. The same applies if who ever gets the bike could chose, make it more like a 39/40 AJS by ditching the headlamp for an 8" repro. That does leave finding 2" dia switch, amp metre, ( look on car parts stalls for those ) also Inspection light, brass one on e bay now , last went for about £350. Horrible black plactic repros are available. They look like the later Bakelite type. Also need a Smiths clock or blanking plate in the instrument panel.
p6dave

Post by p6dave »

Thank you gentlemen for that very interesting information.

I noticed that it appeared to have a twin exhaust system with one side blocked off and it would have been nice to restore at least this aspect of the bike. The bike is hundreds of kilometres away and I never got round to asking the seller about engine numbers having been too busy renovating my last house. I'm not looking for absolute authenticity, just for a nice old bike to potter about on and to use in charity events. It appears that further discussion about this bike is now rather academic because it seems that the bike has been sold, or at least the advert has been removed.

I was impressed by the reliability of my friend's Matchless and AJS machines back in the Seventies. I remember he built a very nice heavyweight 350 single which even had ally rims. A Japanese student fell in love with it and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. That kid kept that bike immaculate. You'd catch him washing it every Sunday morning! So maybe I'll spend a bit more money and buy this: https://www.leboncoin.fr/motos/1116468587.htm?ca=12_s... apparently the original seat is available.

...and yes it's 03.53 as I type this. It's a humid old night in the middle of France, I've already had a cup of tea but I can't get back to sleep!