What is the model ?

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
morgancar

What is the model ?

Post by morgancar »

Thank You Ian for scans, but (yes yes, there is one) those engines are different. From those scan ( ) the engine look's like 250 ccm with frame line like 500 ccm. In my model, the magneto (or ignitor I don't know what is the right name) is in front of engine.
Now I don't know, what it can be. It's look like a motorocycle two in one.
Peter Wright

What is the model ?

Post by Peter Wright »

I have not contributed to this forum for many years, when I was virtually the lone pre-war voice. Perhaps I should get back into it.
A lot of mis-information here I'm afraid. The bike looks to be a 1929 M8 500 and is fitted with the correct forks.
Why not join the pre-war yahoo egroup, this is where to get the best advice on earlier bikes.
Rob Harknett

What is the model ?

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have said where you can find literature, and if not found I will have it, I have all known to exist prewar AJS & Matchless literature.
You can keep guessing what year and model bike this is and never be correct. The bike is of varios years and models. So you need to identify the year and model of all parts. Some parts are totaly wrong. Whats on ther plate rivited on the timing cover? The forks are 1929 onwards, but the front wheel is wrong for them , note the bodged brake anchor. The oil tank is 1931 onwards, note the filler spout faces forward 1929/30 it was upright on top of the tank. In 1931 the engine was a sloper. The engine looks big enough to be a 500cc So what you have is at least, a 1929/1930/1931 500, perhaps with parts earlier or later or totaly wrong.
Peter Wright

What is the model ?

Post by Peter Wright »

Its not that difficult to confirm this bike is mostly 1929, but with some incorrect parts (mainly front wheel).
The owner has advised it is a 500. All the 500s from 1930 to about 1935 had inclined engines; 1929 was the only year for the vertical engine with alloy rocker box and full circulating oil.
The forks are 1929 only (for the heavyweight type used by the 500). The oil tank is correct for 1929; after 1929 only the 250 and some 350s had it mounted on the mudguard (ignoring the ohc models).
The plate on the timing cover gives a patent number, but remove the vover and it will M8 stamped inside.