1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
ozzie041974

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by ozzie041974 »

Does anyone know where to find any information regarding these machines. The only info I have found so far after about 2 days searching the internet, is a review from 'The Motor Cycle' in 1938. How many were made ? I've been told they are quite rare. I have seen some photo's of one recently that doesn't quite look the same as the other couple I have found on internet although it has the 38/G4 engine number. It has a larger 4 gallon tank that is all red with the chrome M, standard low down exhaust instead of the high set one, red rims and large red headlight. Everything else looks the same. Did they come out with different options ? Any information or advice on where to get information greatly appreciated. Glenn
Duncan

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by Duncan »

Have you visited Christian’s Archive? "CLICK HERE"

And joined the Pre-war group?
Home >> Links >> Other Forums >> AMC Related
ozzie041974

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by ozzie041974 »

Thanks Duncan. Did manage to find some information on G4's in Christians Archive in 1938 sales brochure. Does state that low exhausts could be requested. The fully, red 4 gallon fuel tank and headlamp is still a mystery though. It has never been painted apparently. Maybe original owner requested a red paint scheme although why you would do that over chrome I don't understand. I'm still awaiting approval from administrator of the pre war group before I can search there.
Rob Harknett

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi Ozzie,
I have now approved your application to join the prewar e group. Sorry for the delay, I have been at sea on a ship for 2 days. I am not quite sure what you mean about the Red petrol tank. It should be Red & Chrome. If it is now painted all Red, it may had been damaged or the tank was not good enough to re chrome. Send a pic. to the prewar e group.
itma

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by itma »

yes they came with different options is the answer.
do you have one?

no 4 gallon tanks only 3 gallon and 2 on the comp bikes

it'll look much the same as this

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_displa ... =234Edited by - itma on 01 May 2011 9:26:08 PM
Rob Harknett

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by Rob Harknett »

Late 1930's Matchless red & chrome tank.
Perhaps a post scrip to this to explain why perhaps red and not black & chrome. The story goes.
Some red paint was left over from a contract for the local Adlwich post office. In the 1950's Red was to become the colour for Matchless.
ozzie041974

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by ozzie041974 »

So, Here is the reason I was asking. I've decided my fiance will kill me if I buy another motorcycle and I'm not completely convinced this is an original G4. I have since found out red was not the original color but an all black tank was before the red. I asked if it was possibly a chrome tank with red panels earlier on but seller doesn't think so. I'd love to find out if it really is a G4 so if anyone buys it keep us informed. It is a single owner but is being sold on consignment. http://www.justauto.com.au/justbikes/bu ... 744c7d19cf
itma

1938 Matchless G4 350cc

Post by itma »

That works out at round 4,500 quids.
I'd jump on it, it looks dead right to me and its a very rare bike over here.
ITs the 350 version of my G90 which you'll find in pic section.
about all I can see wrong in that piss poor pic are the knee pads which seem be AJS and the headlamp brackets.

The tank and its instruments alone if split would fetch around a grand here on ebay, if that bike went on for 4.5£ here I reckon it would be snapped up.
Its got the right check spring forks, the right duplex frame, the right lamp, tank and instruments.
It could be had in aldwych red and chrome tank with red wheel centre, or black and chrome or all black; pipes up or down as you wanted.
It looks untouched apart from the outback paint job.

These had the one piece head/rocker-box which was only fitted for about 18 months
everything inside is WD G3 so no bother with spares.

Sell another bike to keep her happy or give her the elbow, point out it will be cheaper than you blowing it on fosters or the local massage parlour.

What misgivings have you? please dont get infected with the down under parts list plague

A value comparison, which would you rather have?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PANTHER-MODEL-20- ... 4cf6dcf15a

Edited by - itma on 12 May 2011 5:22:31 PM