Identification

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
itma

Identification

Post by itma »

It has a touch of Sunbeam about it perhaps?
Rob Harknett

Identification

Post by Rob Harknett »

I don't think Sunbeam.
Note that T piece coming off the back where the seat tube fits in. That is an unsual feature, note also where the gearbox fits. The big side car lugs front and back of the tube under the tank.
What I thought was a struupp type front brake part by the front stand is in fact the U shape mudguard bracer. Note its got a chain not belt, note its got a battery carrier. so its not as old as I first thought, probably 25/27 Theres 3 tank fixing points for a flat tank, which must had been quite long, so perhaps for a v twin. I will try and paste a pic to the prewar e group as many have old bikes of other marques.
Rob Harknett

Identification

Post by Rob Harknett »

Hi Stegger,
I believe you have now used your limit of 5 postings as a non number so will not be able to reply. I have been looking at the wrong years of AJS, and did not have parts pictures for 1928. I asked the prewar guys and one thinks the frame is indeed AJS 1928 500cc. I have one of these bikes, your frame is like 1928 500. The battery carrier is proably hidding the gearbox fixing casting, that I thought the frame did not have. Can you look of the frame for its number. On the right hand side, at the end of the tube below the tank , where it meets the down tube. You can e mail me the number to prewar@jampot.com with the frame number I can tell for sure the year and model of the frame.
en7jos

Identification

Post by en7jos »

Isn't the posting limit for non-members 5 NEW posts, but as many replies to existing threads as you like?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
My Matchless G3LS website is here - http://www.matchlessclueless.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------