Identification

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
stegger

Identification

Post by stegger »

Hi to all
I'm new here , member of Lithuanian MCC , about 25 years ago I had AJS bike , but unfortunately lacked many details ... Now i have two Zuendapps - K 800 w and KS 600 w , Wehrmacht mashines .
Few days ago I've found a bike frame, I suspect that this may be AJS . Need your help , maybe you could identify?

clive

Identification

Post by clive »

Tank mountings look AJS to me, pre 30ish, Rob may be able to help more on the model
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Don Madden

Identification

Post by Don Madden »

I had a 1938 Zundapp K800 while in Germany in the early 50s. 800cc, boxer four, sidevalve, a very rare bike. I could not afford one now. Cheers, Don.
stegger

Identification

Post by stegger »

2 clive :
Yes , to me too , have found in the net : AJS 1926 G8 500 cc ohv :

... but I'm not sure...

2 Don :

I wouldn't say that it is very rare, only in my hands were perhaps five, more or less complete . but , if they were made ??about 8000 , then ...

stegger

Identification

Post by stegger »

I can't believe - no one really knows what it
itma

Identification

Post by itma »

some frame numbers and better photos would help; those links make my computer freeze.
dave16mct

Identification

Post by dave16mct »

You would be better to ask the pre-war group. There were several of those Zundapp in the museum we visited at the International in Poland. I think the museum was near Gdynia? dave.
Rob Harknett

Identification

Post by Rob Harknett »

This is quite an old frame, note the push bike type front brake laying there known as Sturrup brake. I do not think its AJS, note the T piece comming off the seat stem tube, also the frame at the bottom where the gear box fits. this does not look like AJS to me. The frame could date pre 1920 with that primitive front brake.
stegger

Identification

Post by stegger »

quote:
You would be better to ask the pre-war group. There were several of those Zundapp in the museum we visited at the International in Poland. I think the museum was near Gdynia? dave.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand - what is the connection between that old frame and the Zündapps in Poland
stegger

Identification

Post by stegger »

quote:
This is quite an old frame, note the push bike type front brake laying there known as Sturrup brake. I do not think its AJS, note the T piece comming off the seat stem tube, also the frame at the bottom where the gear box fits. this does not look like AJS to me. The frame could date pre 1920 with that primitive front brake.

Thanks , Rob . One thing is already proven - it's not AJS Unfortunately, the question remains open ...