AJS Stormer

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
ChrisTurner

AJS Stormer

Post by ChrisTurner »

I am about to take delivery of a restoration project Stormer 250. Could anyone tell me whether the fuel tank should be Orange or Yellow (or either) and does anyone have a paint code for either or both please? Alternatively, I could get it matched locally if someone could supply an example. Thanks everyone. Chris
Rob Harknett

AJS Stormer

Post by Rob Harknett »

Why not aks AJS, they may stock the paint for the bikes they made.
http://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/new_AJS/docs/main.htm
Rob Harknett

AJS Stormer

Post by Rob Harknett »

P.S. Just had a quick look at AJS website myself. Lots of useful info and of cause spares BUT as to your question of Orange or Yellow tank that may depend on year & model so who better to ask than the company that made the bikes.
ChrisTurner

AJS Stormer

Post by ChrisTurner »

Thanks Rob. I did ask but no joy. I was hoping someone reading the forum might have resolved the questions previously. Chris
rex.webb

AJS Stormer

Post by rex.webb »

Strange they do not know ?????????????
r w webb
bigwol

AJS Stormer

Post by bigwol »

New colour coded parts are listed here

http://www.ajs-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Body ... fibre.html

so one would think they would be able to tell you ewhat paint is used?
It's all just riding motorbikes
ajayMike

AJS Stormer

Post by ajayMike »

Hello from a longtime lurker. This is my first posting here. I've owned and worked on Stormers since the early 1970's. I currently own a 250, a 370, and a 410 project bike.

I worked at a Norton/AJS dealer "back in the day." The 250 Ajays which came to our showroom had orange tanks and the 370/410 had yellow tanks. I have heard that in later production the factory fitted whatever tank they had on hand. To further muddy the waters, here in the USA, at least, an oversized 3.5 gallon gas tank was offered, and I have only seen this tank in orange.

I have not come across any paint codes for the Stormers. When I recently painted an AJS orange tank, the auto parts store used a computerized tool to scan the underside of the tank. The computer then figured out how to mix the paint and it got it pretty close.

Hope this helps,

Mike