Hello to all

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
Cjay59_LAPSED

Re: Hello to all

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

A
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickwells63

Post by mickwells63 »

Thanks Alf and Cliff for the quick response, The front lamp is indeed Lucas with lion on front. I know I paid quite a tadge a little too much for bike but had to have (it) one. I am nearly 50 know and still have schoolboy impulsiveness. I did see the more original orange ajs 250 trail on ebay but have decided on this one. I have recently bought the serrated footpegs, All important parts list and new old stock? rear light and rubber numberplate from AJS FB NB . Very good service indeed as received just 2 days after ordering. Sounds daft but my main problem is deciding which oil to use for the pre mix. Some say part synthetic others say bean oil like old castrol R . What to use and what ratio as a definite would be good for me to know. Also my thoughts on lack of printed knowledge ( not peoples Knowledge) I hope I have offended no one relates to the lack of material on either pre 74 or post 74 FB ajs specs for road trail/enduro bikes. I know realise that most people simply made there own version with bought in parts from either fb ajs or universal parts. many thanks for now, Back soon as I have to make a sandwich for the wife.....
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

A
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Cliff, although I'm not a big motocross follower, I always enjoy reading your posts, so keep them coming.

Rob
mickwells63

Post by mickwells63 »

Thanks Cliff, excellent reading as usual. I actually took my bike out for a short ride yesterday as a tester because it was quite sunny (and warm) for a change. Ha ha Even with bike boots on (road style) I have managed to bruise bottom of foot) The bike does now start easily now I have her (him??) sussed out. I have a pair of LOWA German army boots I reckon they may be tough enough to tackle the job but may be on the wrong side of the axis. Just kidding. My speedo is definitely the wrong model. As it shows in my guestimation 55 mph on clock when I reckon really it is around 45. The Worm gear drive for speedo is Smiths accessories. It does not have the ratio stamped on side but looks original or period for this bike. The side stand has a brazed lug on underside of frame that is quite neat and is probably the home made device, when some one converted for road use.
Well back to the ride
I did stall the bike consistently from start as I have forgotten how to ride a vintage 2 stroke after a while on riding docile ducati monster with good manners. Bit snatchy in 1st (clutch problem?) 2nd easy selected 3rd same as is the last cog. I found first 3 gears quite close ratio with number 4 very wide almost like an overdrive which was appreciated riding on public roads. I did attract quite a lot of attention due to the look and noise of the bike. Most looks seem to be nostalgic so ok by me. My friend has a silencer from an old maico, he reckons it will tame it a bit without losing power. So I have that to test yet. Yes it was GREAT fun. :P Well worth it. Did I mention pulled like a train :twisted: My wife liked the sandwich, Looks like time to make another..
I think I had better start a new topic next time I post?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mickwells63 wrote:I am nearly 50 now and still have schoolboy impulsiveness.

'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

A
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickwells63

Post by mickwells63 »

Thanks Cliff for the Great advice and posts. I will seek out the manual. I do have the parts list (original) I will post more photos early next week of things like side stand, speedo, speedo drive etc, as you mentioned it will always help other people along the way.
Spriddler I have one thing to say to you. MMMMM Matron... : :rofl: : In a kenneth williams style. Love the picture of Hattie Jaques. Funny enough my wife is a nurse but looks not a lot like hattie. :lol: I wont make her a sandwich today as she is on shift at Bradford Royal. Thanks
see you all soon. Have a nice weekend. I have to work tommorow being a postman :roll: But off work the week after :beer:
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

A
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickwells63

Post by mickwells63 »

ajs amal carb.jpg
Hi Cliff and everyone else. Just to update I have ordered the workshop manual from ajs, I have taken more photos. I did indeed cliff build a shed to build a bike in. Although not the ajs it is a hodaka, [img]some fine tuning to make it a little classic Picture attached. Back to the ajs I will have to adjust chain as noticed it is under no tension and starting to saw through the swing arm. NOT GOOD. The previous owner has strapped some rubber to the arm as a sort of rudimentary guide but it is worn away. I may put a block of nylon on here. My bike does seem to be missing the bolt on chain guide thingy that is fastened to the torque arm. The gearbox is stamped aj77 (that part is actually engraved like a jewellers mark)? Other wise CB so I have a close ratio box. Would it be prudent to order the wide ratio cogs for gearbox, would it make the bike a little easier to ride on roads and greenlanes etc. The speedo is marked as seen in photo so I do not know if original or just from another period bike, I would say the drive gear for speedo Smiths is original. it is not stamped with drive ratio as they used to be on older brit bikes. I have photos of side stand and other bits and bobs as requested so will have to do 3 at a time. I seem to have girling shocks fitted too. :D Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.