New Venue

Janet

New Venue

Post by Janet »

Following a sudden closure of the Bay Horse, the section meeting has moved to the Bell Hotel in Driffield and has reverted to the 1st WEDNESDAY in the month at 8pm.

Message edited following confirmation of change of day.Edited by - Janet on 05 Jul 2007 07:48:52 AM
Grawding

Re: New Venue

Post by Grawding »

Hi Janet,

The name is Glenn newly registered to forum and trying to find my way around, noted you are in the E.Yorks.

I'm not a member yet or a jam pot owner either but having ridden and owned a VFR for 23 years I felt it was time for something a little OLDER and thought a british single would suit as a first foray. Know a number of E.Yorks vintage club members and going to look at a Model 16 / G3LC (1958) soon.

A little of soft spot for AJS as my uncle raced a 7R many years ago, a little radical and expensive for a first go.

I've looked at a number sites trying to establish history/model changes and engine,frame,box numbers and wondered if you could direct me to any reliable information.

With thanks, Glenn
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hello Glenn and welcome.
If you go to the main website , link at top of the page http://www.ajs-matchless.com/default.asp
as a guest there are some things you can't access but there is some usefull links to follow that will give you a list of types of bike and year.

http://oldthumpers.files.wordpress.com/ ... -bacon.pdf
Also an interesting read.

You would be better posting in the help section on the forum or general section.
As for specific details on frame and engine numbers stc these are held by the club dating officer.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

Many thanks Alf,

Looked at a 1958 AJS today M16 nice and tidy, complete with a good history, available from a local Vintage Club member. Starts and Runs well, most of the oil in the engine and not on the floor.

This is a new experience for me, the VFR is so easy, key in, electric leg and go! I'm going to have to learn a whole new starting and riding technique, as for right foot gear charge that going to take some getting use to.

Thanks for the links,

Glenn
Albert Einstein.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Your welcome, after you get the starting sorted (finding new muscles you never knew you had) remember the brakes are also 1950's and you need to plan in advance for stopping .
I think that after a few miles and getting used to it you will have a massive grin :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Janet

Post by Janet »

About 25-30 years ago I knew someone called Glenn Rawding but he was riding a kayak in those days.
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

Hi Janet,

Yes the kayaks still fill the garage together with a Ageing VFR and hopefully soon a model16 for my old age!!!

I knew a Janet working as an Architect once for a local safety company?
Albert Einstein.
Janet

Post by Janet »

That was me when I was younger, thinner and fitter. :oops: I'm retired now. Do you remember Pete Freeman at Wally Mays? He's a member of the East Yorkshire section but, although registered here as PETE1939, he's never posted on the forum. Get up to the Bell at Driffield on club night and you should see him there. It's worth going so you can ask the members about the bikes, but be warned, pressure will be applied to join the club. :D
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Is this the on line version of All our yesterdays. :D :D
Chemists do it with test tubes
Janet

Post by Janet »

I don't know. One of you oldies will have to tell us what that was. :rofl: