Want a New One ?

Information related to the Harris Matchless (also known as Devon Matchless)
BolserG80

Want a New One ?

Post by BolserG80 »

Les Howard

Re: Want a New One ?

Post by Les Howard »

Although these bikes are quite pretty they are a little on the small size. The Rotax engine is very powerful but unfortunately has light flywheels and judders badly when accelerating from low revs so unless you want a bike that has to be ridden hard with lots of gear changing rather than tootling along country lanes it won't be for you. The Jawa 500R used the same engine, had a top speed of just under the ton standard, and is a sllightly bigger size machine, but once again the snatchy engine ruins it. Oh, and another thing, the kickstart is on the left like most European engines/bikes and as the engine seems to have a very low kickstart gearing and sporty cams with a fair bit of overlap they can be a real pain to fire up by foot....the Matchless version has an electric start but you will need it...the Jawa does not.. The military "Armstrong" is similar too....Les
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Les P H wrote: unless you want a bike that has to be ridden hard with lots of gear changing rather than tootling along country lanes it won't be for you.
That was my greatest disappointment on riding my unwanted 5 speed 'Grudge Special' (Honda) which is the first bike of less than 50 yrs old that I've ever ridden. I realise it's only a 125 and a revelation compared with my old Bantam, but 8,400 rpm at 60 it's tiring and buzzy with useful revs between 6000 to 9500 it requires constant gear changing. A real culture shock after my old plodder and no pleasure at all.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

Thats why i sold my Harris Matchless .
High REVING engines DRIVE me CRAZY and i fear for them to "BLOW UP " !!!!!!!!!
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOT your MOTORCYCLING and Scootering .
Insured with PETER JAMES .
r w webb
Brushwarrior

Post by Brushwarrior »

Les P H wrote:Although these bikes are quite pretty they are a little on the small size. The Rotax engine is very powerful but unfortunately has light flywheels and judders badly when accelerating from low revs so unless you want a bike that has to be ridden hard with lots of gear changing rather than tootling along country lanes it won't be for you. The Jawa 500R used the same engine, had a top speed of just under the ton standard, and is a sllightly bigger size machine, but once again the snatchy engine ruins it. Oh, and another thing, the kickstart is on the left like most European engines/bikes and as the engine seems to have a very low kickstart gearing and sporty cams with a fair bit of overlap they can be a real pain to fire up by foot....the Matchless version has an electric start but you will need it...the Jawa does not.. The military "Armstrong" is similar too....Les
Too right Les, revving the Jawa didnt seem right BUT also the kickstart would foul the left footpeg preventing it from full travel. This was a bitsa of a machine :lol: :lol:
Stevo Adams
Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Neville in your youth the bikes must have been under 50years old