Harris G80

Information related to the Harris Matchless (also known as Devon Matchless)
jonhal

Harris G80

Post by jonhal »

Hi Border,
does yours have the original air box?
Apparently Commando filters are the same,
the filters not the box.
You're right about the sprocket.
Regards,
John
border

Harris G80

Post by border »

Hi John,

The original air boxes seem to be on the bike and each side has a circular air filter approx 5 inch in dia and about one inch thick. I can't find any Norton Commando filter remotely close.

Part number anyone?

Regards

Richard
jonhal

Harris G80

Post by jonhal »

Hi Richard,
same as mine. The Commando reference came from something I read somewhere.
My bike had been stood for years in a collection so filters are very clean, no numbers on the filters so hopefully someone will come up with the correct ones!
Regards,
John
jojo

Harris G80

Post by jojo »

Hi John and Richard,
I have looked through stuff I have found and to fit either Norton Commando or BSA types you need to modify the battery carrier! However I have 1 new airfilter in a packet with Harris 63.0011 on it!
I also have full gasket kits for the kickstarter model if you are interested please advise.
regards Jojo
jojo
jonhal

Harris G80

Post by jonhal »

Hi JoJo and Richard,
Harris should know but they are reluctant to talk to anyone that are not dealers. Les Craig was a good bet but He refuses to order anymore because of Harris's lack of interest ( you can see how this is going! )
Try Hitchcocks. These are all UK based.
Is Union Jack Motorcycles out your way any use?
Regards,
John
jojo

Harris G80

Post by jojo »

Hi John and Richard,
The best people for parts in Australia, Bert Flood Imports for Rotax parts, Jim Eades in Ashfield Nsw and Union Jack in Melbourne they all have odd bits. Also have found American Dirt Bike (Keith Fearing) invaluable with help for the parts for the electric start kit. He was the only one who got back to me with a comprehensive list of parts numbers and names...How are your bikes going anyway?
regards Jojo
jojo
jonhal

Harris G80

Post by jonhal »

Hi JoJo and Richard,
Mines going great. Managed to get original Pireli shocks off ebay, re chromed the springs and thanks to Alan (Biscuit) who manufactured spring retainers for me. I'm looking for an instrument panel, mines cracked, will try Union Jack.
Regards,
John
border

Harris G80

Post by border »

Hi Jojo and John,

Phil at Union Jack is very helpful. I picked up a front brake master cylinder from him the other day. Not cheap but available.

Cleaned out the air filters, but the bike still misfires a bit over 90kms

Can't find anything on adjusting the timing. Finally got the Rotax manual and it seems likes it's set and forget with the electronic ignition.

Can the cam belt be out one tooth and still run "reasonably" well? Will check this out also.

Will be looking further into the airbox and the Dellorto. Got a gasket kit from a Moto Guzzi dealer in Melbourne.

How is the electric start project going?

Regards- Richard
jonhal

Harris G80

Post by jonhal »

Hi Richard and Jo Jo,
cam wheel markers are easy to line up, just follow the guide in the Rotax manual. I would be surprised if it ran at all 'one tooth out'!
I emailed Union Jack but got no reply, must try again.
Yes you are right about the timing, sounds like carburetter to me. Any air leaks anywhere?
Regards,
John
border

Harris G80

Post by border »

Hi John, JoJo,

Found out the Harris G80 original air filters are the same as a 1960-1970 Triumph fitted with Amal carbys.

Emgo P/N 12-94200

I'm going to drop into Phils at Union Jack next week.

Cheers

Richard