Magneto - Manual Advance/Retard position

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Singles only
The points gap can be set regardless of the A/R setting but the timing must be set on full advance.
If the A/R control cable enters the mag on the right of the mag body (when viewed from the points side) full advance is with the cable under tension - i.e. when pulled.
If it enters on the left - i.e on the frame downtube side, full advance is when the cable is relaxed.
That is to say that since the points turn clockwise (viewed from the points side) the points backplate has to rotate anti-clockwise to advance the ignition.

See photos:
[http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=681[/url]Edited by - SPRIDDLER on 29 Dec 2009 10:29:37 AM
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
One pot

Post by One pot »

Hi All,

A little ditty shared by my father:

Wither - the guide to advance and retard.

If the back plate moves in the same direction as the rotor arm (WITH), then Retard (R) WITH-R pronounced "wither"
Quite difficult to describe in words but if it works for you then thats fine.

If you manage to work that out you don't need one for Advance!!

One Pot
If Something goes wrong, check the last thing you mended first
aobp11

Post by aobp11 »

Hi Spriddler, "since the engine turns clockwise (viewed from the points side)..." you must have 4-speed reverse!
Albert
itma

Post by itma »

"11 Jan 2008 "

nothing like a good hard bump is there?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Hi Spriddler, "since the engine turns clockwise (viewed from the points side)..." you must have 4-speed reverse!
Albert

There! Edited.
Is that better Albert?

Cuh!
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Chazzyb

Post by Chazzyb »

quote:

There! Edited.
Is that better Albert?

Cuh!

Better late than never, I s'pose.
Charles
ktofthewoefig

Post by ktofthewoefig »

Hello, After reading this topic I now need some clarification on my 18s. My mag has the cable on the right (looked at from points side)and with this configuration you say the cable should be pulled in and under tension.
When i bought the bike recently the previous owner told me the opposite ie for the advance position the cable is slack and the lever pushed forward, and when riding the bike this is the only position the bike runs well in. If i pull the lever towards me any significant amount the bike misses and doesnt like it at all.
what Im thinking now is thr bike is timed at half inch before TDC with the lever in the retard position and that when i pull it back i am advancing it beyond the fully advanced position.
Would appreciate any advice.
Thank you
Steve
laxy

Post by laxy »

I would suggest retiming the ignition half inch before TDC with advance/retard cable in the tensioned position as described in the manual. you should be able to run the bike in normal conditions fully advanced and just retard the ignition slightly using the handlebar lever to aid starting and to slow the engine speed at tickover
laxy

Post by laxy »

ps I dont want to sound patronising but the adv./retard lever should be the one on the left side of the handlebars and shouldnt be confused with the identical lever on the right hand side of the bars that controls the position of the air slide (choke) in the carb
ktofthewoefig

Post by ktofthewoefig »